MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My Mini is called Wills!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, am a newbie having purchased my fist Mini recently. Was wondering if any of the peeps who have taken their dash apart successfully without damaging anything could share the best way to go about doing so, would like to give it a go myself so I can install some bits and bobs behind the centre bit but don't want to break something!

Also I got quoted £135 per hour for any labour work at my local Mini dealer, is this not rather expensive? I used to pay £65 an hour at a certain main french car dealership and thought that was reasonable.

Ta all. ;)

·
My Mini is called Wills!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am going to stick me parrot behind there, am more than happy to splice up the wires back there from the headunit as money is a bit tight atm and it's not a difficult thing to do. :)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Am going to stick me parrot behind there, am more than happy to splice up the wires back there from the headunit as money is a bit tight atm and it's not a difficult thing to do. :)
Don't go splicing:eek:

Have a word with Mikey at NewMINIStuff.com he can sell you the kit you need to install it and tell you how to do it;)

·
My Mini is called Wills!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I don't have a spare £60 to spend on one at this moment in time, and it's more than simple to splice neatly adding breakouts that can be capped if the kit was removed, not that I plan on doing so, this car has gotta last me the next 5 years. Have spent far too much money on changing cars over the past 4 years (this is my 6th!)

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
Yeah, I don't have a spare £60 to spend on one at this moment in time, and it's more than simple to splice neatly adding breakouts that can be capped if the kit was removed, not that I plan on doing so, this car has gotta last me the next 5 years. Have spent far too much money on changing cars over the past 4 years (this is my 6th!)
Thing is, you spend all the money on a lovely car. If you make a mistake on fitting the parrot, it could be extremely costly to you. There are not many places in the UK that can deal with minis correctly. Your mini is delicately put together, and you dont want to rip it apart without a lot of knowledge.

I know this doesnt answer your actual question, but I would speak to mikeythemini as said above, he is the main man on these sort of things, you wont go far wrong with that option. And its worth spending a couple of hundred, than a couple of thousand if you buggled up the electrics systems. MINIS dont like splicing etc, they have self defense mechanisms lol, mine got me with a flat battery loads of times trying to fit a sub (in my young stupid days that is) :D

Good luck with whichever option you choose.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Thing is, you spend all the money on a lovely car. If you make a mistake on fitting the parrot, it could be extremely costly to you. There are not many places in the UK that can deal with minis correctly. Your mini is delicately put together, and you dont want to rip it apart without a lot of knowledge.

I know this doesnt answer your actual question, but I would speak to mikeythemini as said above, he is the main man on these sort of things, you wont go far wrong with that option. And its worth spending a couple of hundred, than a couple of thousand if you buggled up the electrics systems. MINIS dont like splicing etc, they have self defense mechanisms lol, mine got me with a flat battery loads of times trying to fit a sub (in my young stupid days that is) :D

Good luck with whichever option you choose.
Totally agree, you spend thousands on a car to then cut corners and bugger it up, totally not worth it, would be better to wait until it can be afforded IMO.

Its not easy to go locating all the parts anyway, as theres a lot of fibre optic cabling, and its all hidden behind the speedo.

Mikey is one of the few that can take this apart and put it back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts