MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I have an r56 that I just did a bunch of work on (new oil cooler and oil filter house gaskets, strut, brakes, etc.). Everything was great, no leaks or anything for 3 weeks after completing the job. Then I as I came to a traffic light, my low oil pressure light came on, and the car died. Sure enough, I am very low on oil and leaking. I traced the leak to a pinched o ring on my oil filter cap. I replaced the o ring and filled it with oil, but now the car won't start. The starter motor just spins and spins. It doesn't sound like the engine is even turning over. I jacked up the car and I am able to spin the front wheels by relatively easily by hand with the car in gear. This makes me think I lost compression.

So my question is what do I do from here? What's the next thing to check. What is the first thing to fault on a mini when it runs low on oil?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
most likely the lack of oil made camshafts jam tight and do the timing chain would be my first check point, pull rocker cover off , look for the writing on camshafts both need to be looking up and even if one is not then chain jumped ,, head off and sort the bent valves ,, it pays to lag the oil filter o-ring and threads with oil before refitting them slide better

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most likely the lack of oil made camshafts jam tight and do the timing chain would be my first check point, pull rocker cover off , look for the writing on camshafts both need to be looking up and even if one is not then chain jumped ,, head off and sort the bent valves ,, it pays to lag the oil filter o-ring and threads with oil before refitting them slide better
Thanks a lot! That gives me a lot to work with.

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
if its that worst case pull engine and find another one, or could rebuild it but would need a different cylinder head as yours would be done as where camshafts sit will be damaged as would the vanos end of camshafts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if its that worst case pull engine and find another one, or could rebuild it but would need a different cylinder head as yours would be done as where camshafts sit will be damaged as would the vanos end of camshafts
Thanks! Do you think my pistons survived? Can I just rebuild the head, or am I in it for pistons etc.?

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
its the bottom end that may have been hurt the most main bearings and oil pump pistons would most likely go again these engines dont do well if no oil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts