MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just bought myself a 2010 R56 Cooper S, and im looking to install a double din head unit.
I know this is going to be a pain, but to make the install even more complicated, I'd also like to replace the cigarette lighter with a USB port that directly links to the USB port on the Head unit (via a USB male to female cable).

Has anyone done this already?
also any suggestions for the cigarette USB replacement?
Thanks

P.S this is the link to the kit I'm using for the radio install:
BMW Mini R56 Car Radio Single Din & Double Din Fascia Steering Wheel Interface | eBay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,
I've just bought myself a 2010 R56 Cooper S, and I'm looking to install a double din head unit.
I know this is going to be a pain, but to make the install even more complicated, I'd also like to replace the cigarette lighter with a USB port that directly links to the USB port on the Head unit (via a USB male to female cable).

Has anyone done this already?
also any suggestions for the cigarette USB replacement?
Thanks

P.S this is the link to the kit I'm using for the radio install:
BMW Mini R56 Car Radio Single Din & Double Din Fascia Steering Wheel Interface | eBay
If anyone interested...
Its all fit now (FINALLY!)

it was a bit of a process fitting it, a lot of trim to be removed but it was mainly just t20 screws.
I ended having to unscrew and pull back the centre console to fit in the new fascia. I managed to find a USB cable that would fit into the cigarette lighter as well which looks a lot tidier than the longs cables I have had in past cars. Unfortunately the OEM AUX and USB port wouldn't work with the aftermarket head unit and as the cigarette lighter USB adapter has two ports but my head unit ( Pioneer SPH-da130dab) only has one USB input, only one of the USB ports in the cigarette lighter adapter actually works. However, in the future, if I want that one just to charge a second phone, I could run the wire through to the 12v in the boot.

In terms of the fuse, the stereo is piggybacking the F8 fuse with a cheap adapter I bought from Halfords. and everything seems to work perfectly.

Any comments or questions are welcome but I am no expert, I can only comment from my experience.

The parts I used.

Fascia kit and wiring loom

Cigarette port USB replacement

Fuse piggyback adapter

Head unit - Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB

The video I used for disassembly

E4C1995F-FE93-45D2-8C20-7AE686F0863A.JPG
E0506992-A1C2-4E6B-98F5-A6D48855FD4E.JPG
IMG_2980 2.jpg
IMG_3136 2.jpg
IMG_8069.jpg

Attachments