MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I own a 2008 R56 Cooper S which recently threw an engine light.
I recently completed a 100k service so was a bit surprised but nevertheless run my OBD scanner and it came up with code P0131.
(P0131: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 1, bank 1 - low voltage)
I did some research around the place and found that maybe the sensor needed replacing.
I replaced the sensor with genuine Bosch and cleared the code.
On the second startup after clear, the code came back with same code.
Since then, I have checked the wiring harnesses, voltage going to the oxygen sensor harness as well as the O2 sensor fuse.
I cant seem to find what it could be so this is kind of my last shot before taking it to a mechanics shop and paying to get it fixed.
Cheers for your help

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
NTK 02 sensors is what i use these days bosch is now owned by a china company and since have noticed a few more not so go new sensors, also where buy them makes a difference ie a lot of box as genuine sensors on internet and not really, on heated sensor circuit the voltage when engine running will change from 3v to 12v flicking between as it trims its heat , ie the 5v signal side works from heat ie when hits 600c its generates a voltage and this is what the ecu trims the fuelling with ,, other things that effect this is blocked cat or cat with hole in it or exhaust leaks even

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, before i go buying another oxygen sensor i might have a good look under my car to see if i can find something like a leak.
Would I be looking for a leak between the two sensors? (Between first cat and second O2 sensor?) or doesn't it really matter where the leak is it can still throw code?
Thanks again for help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts