MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The filter for the R56 JCW Mini Cooper S in in Stock. Priced at £55(Inc vat) + £5(Inc vat) next day delivery. Any questions please contact me. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The filter for the R56 JCW Mini Cooper S in in Stock. Priced at £55(Inc vat) + £5(Inc vat) next day delivery. Any questions please contact me. Thank you.
Tried calling. Payment waiting:smile:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Have you installed this in a car yet? If so does it improve the induction noise, and can you hear the stock turbo blow off?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Have you installed this in a car yet? If so does it improve the induction noise, and can you hear the stock turbo blow off?
Mine should be here this afternoon and i'll fit it after work. I'll let you know what i think tomorrow:D

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Looking forward to hear what you think....may be tempted too:D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Fitted last night, so not much testing:smile:done yet but here are my initial thoughts.

Install time of 5-10 mins max.

Throttle response is perhaps a tad better ( my main gripe with the R56 ) At below 4k revs it pretty much sounds the same. In the higher rev band, it sounds deeper, more induction roar. Traffic was busy this morning so didn't have chance to 'play' on way to work. Because of this i haven't had chance to do high rev gear changes to check for BOV noise etc. Maybe at lunchtime:D

Again, early days, but it does seem to rev a little more freely and idle more smoothly, but this maybe placebo:rolleyes:

Next mods in order:D

Sprint Booster ( hate the non sport mode throttle, but hate the sport mode steering even more )
Alta Turbo Inlet Pipe
Alta Boost Tubes
GTT Stealth Cat
Helix Front Mount IC

After that 'i'll mostly be wanting front tyres':D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for your post Japper, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a hard drive. Not sure whether to try go DIY with an open filter, get the ITG or leave it stock!

Also do you plan to dyno before and after some of your planned mods?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for your post Japper, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a hard drive. Not sure whether to try go DIY with an open filter, get the ITG or leave it stock!

Also do you plan to dyno before and after some of your planned mods?
Not many RR companies up here i'd trust. Heard good reports about Star Performance ( 100 miles south of me ) If i did get it on the rollers it would probably be after the Inlet / Boost tubes.

I'm still wanting to keep it very OEM looking, so still thinking about the Intercooler. Does anybody know whether this has been increased in size on the factory works model ?.

May get out at lunchtime for a 'test' but i need to check my coolant level first. I noticed last night that it looked low, but it was dark and i couldn't see the markings.

Anybody else had to 'top up' the coolant:confused:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Went out for a 'test':D. Nothing too heavy as i had to go to MINI for coolant:(

Under no conditions ( with window up ) can i hear the BOV, nor any other noises other than stock. It just sounds deeper and harder as you approach limiter.

So far, i think it's worth the £60, it's got to be better than that pleated skirt of an OEM jobbie:p

Had to laugh when i phoned MINI to try and book the car in to check for coolant leaks. The service lady informed me that i should check and top up regularly as part of routine maintenance. When i informed her the cooling system is a sealed and pressurised system and i have never had to top a car up in my life, she agreed to book it in..................................NEXT WEEK:eek:

MUPPETS!!!!!:angry:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the update, bit disappointed it doesn't change the sound much, but I guess thats the price for keeping a stock look.

As for the coolant yes I have topped it up a fraction, not much though, didn't think much about it after having the car just over a year and with 18,000 miles on it. I've also done it with previous cars too, so I'm kinda surprised with your comments.... I also thought it was part of routine maintenance like your Mini dealer!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for the update, bit disappointed it doesn't change the sound much, but I guess thats the price for keeping a stock look.

As for the coolant yes I have topped it up a fraction, not much though, didn't think much about it after having the car just over a year and with 18,000 miles on it. I've also done it with previous cars too, so I'm kinda surprised with your comments.... I also thought it was part of routine maintenance like your Mini dealer!
It'll never change the sound much as it's a closed airbox. If you want more noise you need an open filter like ALTA's. I want to keep the OEM look and don't want it to sound too modified either.

The GTT stealth cat should add a bit more noise too so hopefully a decent balance but not over the top.

I stand to be corrected, but my belief is that if your coolant level ever needs topping up, then there is a leak somewhere. Apparently the Thermostat housing is the likely culprit on both the R53 and R56:confused:

·
Registered
851 Posts
It'll never change the sound much as it's a closed airbox. If you want more noise you need an open filter like ALTA's.
Yer I guess so, the boy racer in me wants to hear more turbo sounds! It's annoying though as the first car I test drove with the Works kit did sound better than mine but from posts on here that was the exception rather than the norm. On that car you could just hear the turbo blow off when really working the car hard. I guess they hadn't fitted the airbox correctly...

Would interested to hear if they find its leaking coolant, how much did you need to topup?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Would interested to hear if they find its leaking coolant, how much did you need to topup?
Haven't topped it up yet, as need to wait for it to cool down. First job before setting off home tonight.

It's about 3/8"-1/2" below min. level mark:redface:. I'm sure it'll take less than 1/2 litre to put it to max. level.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Mine wasn't anywhere near that much, and thinking about it I can't remember taking much notice of it when I first got the car, so it may never have been filled to the max... The manual says to check the level with the cap off and get the car looked at if looses coolant so you are right.

Do you know what kind of screw is used on the JCW airbox? Looks like a Torx but I don't have any, do you know what the size is?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Mine wasn't anywhere near that much, and thinking about it I can't remember taking much notice of it when I first got the car, so it may never have been filled to the max... The manual says to check the level with the cap off and get the car looked at if looses coolant so you are right.

Do you know what kind of screw is used on the JCW airbox? Looks like a Torx but I don't have any, do you know what the size is?
It is a torx, but not sure what size. I'll check and let you know tomorrow:smile:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Just to mention that it did only take 200ml to top right up to max. mark.

More news on the ITG.

I never expected anything other than maybe better throttle response. Boy was i wrong, i swear this thing is quicker, it pulls like a train from 4k onwards.

This thing needs to breath...................roll on the ALTA Inlet Pipe:D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Itg

Good question! Mini do use foam filters in the JCW challenge Mini One/Cooper cars. Incidentally, ITG has now released a special replacement foam cone filter for the Mini One/Cooper JCW challenge cars (fitted with the JCW motorsport induction kit). I'll start another thread.

Again, there are many reasons why production cars including the Mini don’t come with foam filters. Simple answer would be cost. But there are other factors involved. When airboxes and induction systems are designed they have to meet many design constraints. These include available space/airflow, noise created and heat (these are just a few). The problem with foam filters is that they last too long. Up to 15 years+, providing they are looked after. All foam filters regardless of the manufacture need oiling for them to filter particles. (I know some don’t!) Now, this is great news for you the customer but now so good for BMW Mini. All filters regardless of what they are made of have to filter airborne particles going into the engine, obviously. Consequently they will eventually clog up. With the thousands of TLC packages BMW Mini have sold and the millions of cars that are serviced in would be impractical for the BMW Mini techs to keep your car in for 24hrs to do a general service just so they can wash, dry and re-oil your foam filter. This is why disposable paper filters are used; they are also cheaper to make and don’t require oiling. BMW Mini needs to get the cars in and out as quickly as possible. Last time I looked my local BMW garage were charging £108+VAT for an hours labour. Imagine the horror on a customers face when they see 1 or 2 hours labour for cleaning/preparing the foam filter. It would be a Kodak moment (excuse the commercial phrase). It would be cheaper to buy a brand new foam filter! Shocking! For this reason and only this reason they are not used in 99% of production cars. Incidentally, if you were to mass produce foam filters in the millions they would be roughly the same price as their paper counterparts. I hope I have highlighted the reasons why this type of filter is not used commercially throughout the industry. They are however, the superior filter.

In all the flowbench testing carried out, ITG foam filters have always out flowed the standard OEM paper filter and in most applications the other forms of filter medium. In motorsport however, it is a completely different scenario. Teams don’t care about cost, just winning. ITG are the leading foam filter manufacture, they have won everything from F1 to BBTC championships. If you go to a major motorsport event in Europe you will be hard pressed to find a pit mechanic who hasn’t heard of ITG. As for the JCW challenge series foam filters are used on the One/Cooper cars. As for the Cooper S rules at the moment mean that you can only replace like for like, i.e. foam filter for foam filter. These rules will be changing though. Most of the top race engine builders in this country use ITG filters on their wild creations.

Kind regards

Leo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts