MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched with no definitive answers to retrofit, bought and plugged in controls today, connection was there on slip ring but nothing works as expected but am I correct if slip ring was correct audio controls would work at least?

If not correct slip ring, once purchased I have read steering angle sensor needs reset, is this connect?

Anyone point me in direction of coding instructions, can I use ista or will I need to use nscexpert?

·
Registered
07 R56 S
214 Posts
As the "Discussion starter"......perhaps you could employ a whole lot more detail and a bit more lay language in your post. I don't know if you're upgrading audio or adjusting the wheel alignment.
Your post is completely garbled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to retro fit cruise and audio controls, I have fitted the button part and trying to find out from those that have done this retro fit if I definitely need to replace slip ring or jump straight into coding and if I replace the slip ring will I need to reset the angle sensor

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just successfully done this retrofit to my 2009 R56 this weekend. If your car has the correct slip ring, the stereo controls on the steering wheel will work without coding. Unfortunately just having the connector on the slip ring doesn’t necessarily mean it will work with the MFSW controls - my original one had the connector, but like you, I couldn’t make anything work.

I looked on realoem to find a compatible part number for a replacement slip ring for my car (rain sensor, no xenons) - all slip rings made after a certain date have the provision for MFSW. Then I found the correct one used from eBay for about £45

When I fitted this new slip ring to the car, the stereo controls worked straight away. Some coding had to be done to activate the cruise control part of the MFSW but this was actually pretty straight forward (I have never coded a car before) and I can guide you through the process it required.
For me, the new slip ring didn’t require any coding or angle sensor resetting - this is probably because it came used from another car. However, it is essential to match the rotation position of the slip ring with that of the one you are replacing (for me that was with the connector at the top, 2 1/4 rotations from its anti-clockwise limit of travel), otherwise you will get DSV error light.
Total cost was about £100 - £45 for slip ring, £25 for K+DCAN cable and £30 for used MFSW buttons from eBay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts