MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wonder if someone could help me. I have a R56 Cooper S. when the revs are at idle the oil light comes on making a noise. My oil level is full, and I've had it at a garage, they have done an oil pressure test and said they had it in the computer and no problems they can see. I had a 2002 cooper previously that also had an oil light on at low revs but I believe it was a common fault.

I took it to another garage for a second opinion and they said its full engine out and gonna cost £1500 for a full rebuild, considering they didn't look under the bonnet I don't know how they came to that conclusion.

This is driving me mad as im worried its about to blow up.

It had the timing chain changed 1000 miles ago.

Thanks in advance.

Adam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps he was right after all? :eek surprise:

If so, perhaps it would cheaper to source a 2nd hand replacement engine and fit that?
I know that is my worst fear. I have found an engine fully refurbed, fitted for just short of £1500. It has done 20,000 miles.

don't know whether to just wait and see if it blows up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If the oil light is on due to a genuine low oil pressure and you continue to run it, you won't have long to wait. It will blow up.

It might be worth checking the sensor is working and not giving false signals but, since you mention a noise as well as the warning light, I'm guessing the problem is more serious than that.

Good luck and let us know the outcome please.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it's back in garage next week to try and diagnose the problem, fingers crossed its not so bad. I will let you know :smiley:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the oil light is on due to a genuine low oil pressure and you continue to run it, you won't have long to wait. It will blow up.

It might be worth checking the sensor is working and not giving false signals but, since you mention a noise as well as the warning light, I'm guessing the problem is more serious than that.

Good luck and let us know the outcome please.
Hi Road hog sorry for delay but got to the problem with mini. The alternator belt snapped and was that wrapped up in the other moving wheel (I think its for the crank?) that is was making the horrible noise from same end as the timing chain. I also needed a rocker gasket, touch wood all is fine no warning lights no noises. total repair bill £120. needed extra labour to remove mangled belt. Glad I didn't listen to the other garage who quoted me £1500 and a full engine rebuild!! One thing though since I removed the battery to charge it to get to the garage, I have a loose battery terminal the positive to the left. key fob got stuck the other day opened bonnet just touched the terminal and all came back into life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
2 Participants
adamw96
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing