MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helpppp!
Complete car newbie so please forgive me!

We have recently bought an 09 mini one. Had some issues with misfiring and rough idling - these are the things that have been changed/done since purchasing;
  • Full service
  • Changed spark plugs and one coil pack
  • VVT Pulleys have been repaired
  • Valve cover gasket
  • VANOS Solenoid has been cleaned
  • VANOS adaption for timing
  • auxiliary belt

Since this has been done the car generally drives a lot nicer BUT the idle is very rough (just stalls) and every so often once started up the car just sort of dies? You put your foot down and… nothing. We have been quoted another £1k to fix other things including a CAT replacement after the garage said suggested burnout. Please helppp we have grown quite fond of the car and I just want to know if there’s anything obvious missing/that can be fixed before we spend anymore money or just get rid :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I had to deal with these symptoms after changing a multitude of items as you are doing, it turned out to be the timing which was out. New timing chain and all that goes with that including using a Laser Tools timing kit solved the problems. If your N12 is over 50-60 K miles and timing chain not replaced I would be doing that before spending any more money, if it has been replaced, check the timing again. Also, if they think the Cat is burnt out, you need to know why, and the why is usually incorrect timing.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
as scudder says , will add the cat dont fail on its own there is always a cause, common is timing as above, also if have leaking vaves and valve stem seals leaking oil on to the cat this will either block the cat or ad fuel ie oil to a furnace rgar will melt hole in it, this is all common around 60-120k window for most of them, pull cat off head and have a look in the ports if see black oil deposits on valve stems inside a sign of needing a engine refresh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I've had my 2009 MINI from new, it has had a misfiring/stalling issue on two separate occasions over the years
(last time was last year) Each time the problem was the 'camshaft sensor', common problem apparently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts