MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question regarding the tensioner.

I know the new updated one is longer .

When I bought the febi timing chain kit it came with a tensioner and it looks like it's not the longer version.

So question is, is it ok to use the tensioner from the kit from the timing chain for the time being and get it changed to a longer one after few thousand miles ?

Is the shorter tensioner harmful for the chain, ie does it come with more tension which can stretch the chain etc.

Reason being dealers are shut atm, but I can somehow manage to sort out the part via ebay if I can get them to confirm it's the longer version but if I can survive with the shorter tensioner for few thousand miles for the time being without any adverse effects on the chain then I'd rather do that.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
565 Posts

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
pic below shows the difference between the old tension and new one ie the longer one is a lot more than 4mm longer it also has a softer spring load
IMG_20190626_094530.jpg

i buy these from Peugeot main dealers as cheaper and are same item , just find a reg number off a 2015 onwards 308gti and you will for sure get the latest version as i believe some out lets are running down their old stock of shorter ones so give out them first is my theory to it, take a short one in and compare best bet,,
this all said the short ones work will do around 60k until next change longer ones could be less hard on the chain due to spring pressure is my theory hence why i fit the longer ones

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers mike, I've seen this picture from you before and it looks a lot more than 4mm, read 4mm diff in few other forums as well.

Will phone PSA dealer and see if they open.

·
Registered
2009 Mini Clubman Cooper S, Grey/Black, 130,000miles!
7 Posts
Hi, I have just aquired a 2009 MCS clubman...130,000 miles...its going in for an oil leak, should I have the chain replaced too? Never been done as far as I can see from the SH, but there is no rattle that I can hear?

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Hi, I have just aquired a 2009 MCS clubman...130,000 miles...its going in for an oil leak, should I have the chain replaced too? Never been done as far as I can see from the SH, but there is no rattle that I can hear?
yes deffo would would guess at 130000 miles it would of been done once before ,, if not prob find cat and 02 sensors will be gone as well at very least .. chain might of been done by a dealer at some point and they dont tend to add such work to reduce any come back if goes wrong under warranty ,, just because have no rattle dont mean its not stretched chain as the vanos sprocket will take up some of chain miss time for a while put make it suffer at top end revs,, trouble with the n14 engines as well is top guide is weaker than the other engines and snaps off with age and chain slap when rattle ie it might rattle for two minutes just before it snaps the guide off and engine rebuild next on list,, also 130k on factory engine its getting to that point where they all go and need a refresh might be worth biting the bullet and do the lot ..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike you said get the tensioner from PSA cars after 2015? so is this tensioner from a different engine than N14?

I thought N14 ended in 2010 or so.

I think I might have to live with the tensioner I have till lockdown ends, don't think parts departments are open to general public yet.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
using the tensioner that came in kit is fine nothing wrong with it will do it job ,, the last update i believe with psa was around 2015 but that tension fits all prince engines and is latest spec update for it.. i have seen a few 2010 plate cars with the longer tensioners in due to having a factory latest version chain kit after 2015 ,, might even find the update happened before this time but i found ordering on that age i get the right update etc, as i believe they run the old stock don if just ask for a tensioner if that makes sense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts