MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents and ladies
After countless web search I could not find anything on how to fit an oil catch can to a Mini R56 diesel. So I decided to fit one myself. My Mini was running a bit rough on 1st , 2nd and 3rd hear. Engine light on , code read , changed EGR valve, engine light back on , insufficient EGR flow. The air intake baked In gunk, clean it out and used air intake cleaner car run great for couple of hundred miles, engine light back on again. So that’s why I decided to fit the can. Before the “can” I was only getting about ,at best, 50MPG motorway driving. After fitting the “can” and another can of air intake cleaner I managed to get over 80MPG motorway driving and around 63MPG town driving. I have added some pictures. Hopefully this will help someone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stu E I only just fitted the catch can , I am going to check it when I have clocked up around 1200 miles . Will post pictures of what I find in the can. I can not believe the difference in my car. I also forgot to mention she has done 11300.00 miles. I only bought her couple of months ago . She was running like pig , but now she runs great and the engine sounds sweet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stu E I only just fitted the catch can , I am going to check it when I have clocked up around 1200 miles . Will post pictures of what I find in the can. I can not believe the difference in my car. I also forgot to mention she has done 11300000 miles. I only bought her couple of months ago . She was running like pig , but now she runs great and the engine sounds sweet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no debating that there are benefits to having an after market catch-can installed. Especially if you have a turbo. Fuel burns cleaner and valves don't get all gunked up from oil blow-by. What I've been wondering is why these are not installed from the factory if there are such great benefits to be had from them? The cost of the parts are relatively cheap. Why would manufacturers just not include this stock?

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think it's just cost and by the time most of the problems occur, the car has gone past is warranty anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which one did you buy and where from? How much was it?

and...
When you coming round to fit one for me 8D

You can buy this from eBay, but if you look around you can get it cheaper. I will put together a shopping list and a how too. The only thing you need to make yourself is a bracket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi looks great can you tell me where you got the catch can and do you have an install guide?, thanks

You can buy this from eBay, but if you look around you can get it cheaper. I will put together a shopping list and a how too. The only thing you need to make yourself is a bracket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a shopping list. You need 2 meters is hose and not 1 meter. You will only use the breather connecting pipe from the Ford unit, it was cheaper to buy the whole unit than just the small breather pipe. I used 2 x 22mm copper elbows but you may want to use the plastic ones. I have made a video but it seems I can’t upload it here. If you have an iPhone send me the number and I will sent it to you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts