MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of weeks ago we had a track day with New MINI club Sweden, doing zig-zag around traffic-cones and back (cone-track, that is). The MINI is an excellent car for this type of practice.

When most of the competitors had gone home, we cleared the track (an old airfield with a 2 km straight) from the cones and decided to do an unofficial test - my standard R56 S (with polished manifold as only trim) against the following R53´s:
1) Standard with sport exhaust - standing start.
2) Standard with AC SCHNITZER trim, giving approx 207 bhp - rolling start, 50 km/h.
3) Standard with Kellener´s trim, benched to 214 bhp - rolling start, 50 km/h.
4) Modified with the aid of a well-experienced Swedish trim company (PM Motorsport), approx 210-220 bhp, equipped with R-tyres - slow rolling start, 20 km/h.

Please note the start procedure after each specified R53.

A standard R56 S produces 175 bhp, mine has got a polished manifold (have no clue if it gives any extra bhp :puzzled: ).

Anyway, the strip test proved that the R56 S is as quick in a stright line as any of the four R53 of various trim seen above, especially the Kelleners which have a certificate that they have done a bench test of the car, proving it produces 214 bhp.

Fact is, I won (just with a car length or two) against the first three, it was just aginst the last one I lost with a car length. We had to drive twice, because in the first race against no 4 i was leading when suddenly my gearstick knob came lose whilst changing gear from 3 to 4 :aargh: - naturally,I did not continue. We decided to give it another try, and that´s when no 4 won :mad:

I am very satisfied with the proof that an R56 S is as quick as a modified R53 :cool:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Out of interest why did you vary the type of starts i.e. standing starts, rolling at 50 and 20kph?

Was it not possible to have a drag with all 5 cars, that would have been interesting to see the differences?

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of interest why did you vary the type of starts i.e. standing starts, rolling at 50 and 20kph?

Was it not possible to have a drag with all 5 cars, that would have been interesting to see the differences?
It was different drivers in the R53´s and they preferred to do it in the various ways we did it (did not matter to me), but as you say, it would have been more correct to do it with the same type of standing start - however it was an unofficial test just to se what the R56 could do against some modified R53´s.

To have a drag with all 5 involved could be risky if a guy in the middle or on the side loses control and slams into another meaning more damages compared to just two doing a drag.
As stated we were on a runway approx 20 meters wide, but still. It is more secure to just have two competitors each run than five.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Tell that the R56 Cooper S that tried it on in a straight line yesterday, saying that a proven 235bhp under the bonnet helps ;)

I guess the R53 needs more grunt to offset the extra torque the R56 has.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Did you give it a try swapping over the drivers from R56 and R53 - you may just be a good driver!!! :)

Nice little test though...

·
Boosted
480 Posts
My standard R56 S (Well I have an ALTA CAI and Forge BOV) made 192bhp on the rollers, the ambient temp was quite high at 21 degC and they only had a fan that was blowing at 30mph. Its lived on Tesco 99RON all its 23,000 mile life so far. I thought that was quiet impressive. :)

Reactions: Fredrik

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you give it a try swapping over the drivers from R56 and R53 - you may just be a good driver!!! :)

Nice little test though...
Thanks for the kind words Keano, we might have to try swapping next time, maybe the result will be different :D ;)

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In our club New MINI Club Sweden (NMCS) there is a guy that is selling some sort of electronic equipment to measure how quick the car is on a cone track or around a racetrack,
That thingy (I think it is called a drifting box or something like that) might be the perfect choice to see the above test given in numbers.

I will try and get it sorted at a later venue this year (in Sweden, that is) and get back with figures about the differences among the MINIs :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
..... We had to drive twice, because in the first race against no 4 i was leading when suddenly my gearstick knob came lose whilst changing gear from 3 to 4 :aargh: - naturally,I did not continue. We decided to give it another try, and that´s when no 4 won
Ah but you see therein lies the truth .... your R56 started to systematically self destruct as you pushed it. You'll not find a R53 doing that - built to last!!! ;)

Sounds like you had a lot of fun - which is what it's all about.

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah but you see therein lies the truth .... your R56 started to systematically self destruct as you pushed it. You'll not find a R53 doing that - built to last!!! ;)

Sounds like you had a lot of fun - which is what it's all about.
Haha, selfdestruction of my R56 - that was a good one, Tim :) :cool:
A friend of mine had the knob from the stick in his hand too once, and he drove an R53 :biggrin:

Yes, we had a lot of fun (and safe since it was on an old runway) , but the reason why I started the tread was actually that I was quite surprised to see that my (almost) standard R56 S was quicker/as quick as some more modified R53´s - not by much but still - I am happy though :D

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Funnily enough I did some timing with my brother yesterday - I'm running a GTT220 conversion on an R53, he has a completely stock R56 S.

We only drove them sequentially rather than as a drag race but we did do some timing. My best 0-60 was 6.4secs, his was 6.7secs, although we got more consistent times in the R56. 30-70mph in 3rd gear was identical for both cars, while the GTT220 was 0.4 secs quicker through the gears.

Given that R53 JCWs would seem to put out closer to 190bhp on a rolling road, and several GTT220 cars have seemed good for their numbers (i.e. GTT220 is quicker than JCW210), the old adage that the new R56s are as quick as the old JCW210s would appear to be true.

Having said all this - one thing that was very apparent after driving the two cars back to back was that the tuned R53 FELT a lot quicker. In reality, very little indeed separates them but the extra refinement of the new car hides the way it gains speed very well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Haha, selfdestruction of my R56 - that was a good one, Tim :) :cool:
A friend of mine had the knob from the stick in his hand too once, and he drove an R53 :biggrin:

Yes, we had a lot of fun (and safe since it was on an old runway) , but the reason why I started the tread was actually that I was quite surprised to see that my (almost) standard R56 S was quicker/as quick as some more modified R53´s - not by much but still - I am happy though :D
Well you Swedes seem to be having an awful lot of trouble holding onto your knobs......

Sorry, if I hadn't written it - it was only a matter of time! :D

Mmmm..... idea for a new Carry On film........ Carry On Coopering!

·
Event organiser, NMCS
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you Swedes seem to be having an awful lot of trouble holding onto your knobs......

Sorry, if I hadn't written it - it was only a matter of time! :D

Mmmm..... idea for a new Carry On film........ Carry On Coopering!
LOL :D - good idea, Tim - it might be so that the gentleman at the factory putting on the knobs does not like swedish people, so he might have thought "-oh, another one for Sweden, remember to forget to put the knob on proberly so a speednutter will end up with it in his hand again - MUHAHAHAH", or something like that anyway ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts