MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
During the recent hot weather, the car's developed a coolant leak which seems to be coming from the coolant hose just where it goes into the water pump.

Whilst I'm replacing this I thought I might as well replace the thermostat housing which seemed OK visually when I replaced the cylinder head last year but as they are prone to failure I thought I might as well replace it.

Thing is there are myriad choices available from 20 odd quid upwards. Any thoughts on which to go for ?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
dont buy a cheap china £20 one really bad move,, bmw and psa have updated the housing due to reducing the running temps slightly,,, ie old ones genuine ran at 112c new ones 109c , cheap ones can effect fueling on long term,, the updated housing

would not fit anything than below genuine , and latest spec always give vendor your reg number off car before placing a order.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont buy a cheap china £20 one really bad move,, bmw and psa have updated the housing due to reducing the running temps slightly,,, ie old ones genuine ran at 112c new ones 109c , cheap ones can effect fueling on long term,, the updated housing

would not fit anything than below genuine , and latest spec always give vendor your reg number off car before placing a order.
Cheers Mike. Phoned this supplier (Neo Bros) up and they had a cheaper aftermarket one. I've gone for that one as I've sepnt too much on this and the R50 over lock-down. I'll see if I regret it and it was a false economy. I'll post if it goes pop (or doesn't).

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
i got a genuine febi bilsteen one on mine bought through the trade so is genuine febi unlike many on ebay that come from china, neo brothers are good company and stand by their warranty on parts,, only thing i would say dont think any after market ones are the lower temp rated ie from 112c to 105c and as engines get more worn with age these few degrees can make a difference

1 - 4 of 4 Posts