MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we just unlucky or does the windscreen on the 2007 R56 Mini chip and crack really, really easily? We've never owned a car before in the last 25yrs which windscreen is so prone to being damaged with what I consider to be only minor impacts? :angry:

I took the car back to the dealer today to see what they had to say about the windscreen, but they said "it's just one of those thing's that happen".

I disagree, I think the windscreen is of "non-merchantable quality". :angry:

Has anyone else out there had a similar problem?

Paul.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a R53, and so far I've had two replacement windscreens. The one i have at the moment isn't cracked but has a lot of small pit marks (looks like it's been sand blasted) in it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have one wee chip...but nothing that needs teh windscreen replaced (for now). I think that the fact teh windscreen is very upright will mean a stone is more litely to damage screen than just glace off it..

...just my opinion mind.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've a few chips, but luckily no cracks yet. Don't do that much motorway driving though.

I think if you do a lot of motorway driving, then the higher speeds of vehicles around you tend to send stones flying, and then if one hits a windscreen travelling at 70+ mph ... just a chip if you're lucky, a crack if you're unlucky, and a shattering if you're very unlucky!

As FergusM says, the more upright screen on the MINI makes the impact more severe.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My first 2001 mini has a stress fracture in the windscreen that started in one corner and spread which BMW replaced. Then in my 2004 second mini took a chip and had a new screen done at auto glass

Third mini ok for now although only done 3k miles

I think the relative uprightness of the screen does not help

Just see the benefits you get a new screen with no pitting for £50. Much better than taking a big stone on the bonnet or roof!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts