MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this is my first post so Hi to everyone...

I want to get the convertible MINI S and am pretty much ready to buy. I'm not sure of all the pros and cons of buying the old model vs. waiting for the new beyond the different engine. Can you give me some other differences that might help my decision or expand upon the differences in the engine.

If we got the old we would get the sidewalk package in Sparking Silver, but I'm not real impressed with the colors to choose from in the sidewalk trim. Will the colors on the new model change?

Also, how much longer until we can't order the old in any event?

Thanks!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hi there :)

You're pretty informed for a first time poster!!

The old model will be discontinued towards the end of this year, I wouldn't bank on being able to order a factory spec car too longer after this summer.

Pros for the new model will be the more efficient engine, better safety, and overall a fresher design. That said, there is nothing wrong at all with the old/current car, and if you really can't wait to get your hands on a MINI, go for it.

There will I'd imagine be new colours launched with the convertible as happened back in 2004 - no word on these yet though ;)

Hope that helps....

Jon

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
R52 production for the US market is supposed to end this month, so I'm not sure if you can still order one built to your specifications.

R57 production starts this winter for March 2009 sales.
When does 'winter' start? September/October/November? :confused:

And, does this mean no MINIs will be born July/August/September?! :eek: Are all the workers just taking a summer holiday? :confused: :p

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
R52 production for the US market is supposed to end this month, so I'm not sure if you can still order one built to your specifications.

R57 production starts this winter for March 2009 sales.
That's what I heard as well from the Kaiserslautern Military Sales Dealer. Military Sales won't be able to order any more convertibles after this month.

·
8,410 Posts
That's what I heard as well from the Kaiserslautern Military Sales Dealer. Military Sales won't be able to order any more convertibles after this month.
:eek: What use do the military have for MINI convertibles? :confused:

Somehow it seems unlikely that it could be utilised as a weapons platform... :p

·
Registered
295 Posts
:eek: What use do the military have for MINI convertibles? :confused:

Somehow it seems unlikely that it could be utilised as a weapons platform... :p
Obviously you haven't thought of the benefits of mounting a Dillon Aero M134D Gatling Minigun to the rear roll bar!
Here are some photots of the mounting in a GMC Yukon but I think it would work just as well in a MCSC.

Attachments

·
8,410 Posts
Obviously you haven't thought of the benefits of mounting a Dillon Aero M134D Gatling Minigun to the rear roll bar!
Here are some photots of the mounting in a GMC Yukon but I think it would work just as well in a MCSC.
:aargh: Actually... I must admit that the benefits of mounting a Dillon Aero M134D Gatling Minigun to the rear roll bar of a MINI Cabrio had escaped my notice... :eek: :p

It's interesting seeing the GMC Yukon used in a military roll - my parents used to have one before they traded it in for a Second Generation F350 4-Door (Crew/King Cab) Super Duty with Dual Rear Wheels........ :hmph: You know, if they could get by without the 5th-wheel towing, they really should swap back - it was so much easier saying "GMC Yukon". :p :p :p

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Geez, I go to sleep for 5 1/2 hrs and I missed this! LOL Let's see some "photo shop" work with the "weaponized" MINIs. Too funny...

I'll tell you a story though. I meet lots of people through my work. One day I asked a Gentleman about his car keys. I had seen that he had a new MINI Key Fob on it. This australian born American GI specialized in driving and teaching the defensive and emergency exit type driving classes for the commanders and Generals in the area. He's like the military versino of a stunt driver. Anyway, his job requires him to drive new model vehicles so that he can then teach how to use them in a "get away" situation. He tells me, "I've driven BMW, Mercedes, Lotus, Lexus, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc. When I first saw the MINI I thought, "Girls car." But, he continued with enthusiasm, "After driving the MINI, I wanted to own it!" He said it was the funnest car he'd driven!
He has a 2007 MCS. So the MINI Cooper S has the seal of approval of a US Military's driving professional. A reaffirming moment for me, a MINI afficionado!

·
MINI on the brain!!!
1,510 Posts
oooh... I can't wait to see what the new cabrio colours will be... if any... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts