MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read recently that a 25mm torx wrench is used to loosen the air filter housing on my 2012 JCW R58 Coupe, which I believe has the N14 engine. Can you tell me what specific torx wrenches or range of torx wrenches a beginner DIY Mini guy should purchase for general maintenance on that engine? And, would you recommend screwdriver type, or ratchet? I buy SK tools, if it matters.
Thank you very much for your time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I own the same 2012 R58 JCW N14. I have performed a lot of matinance and upgrades. So far T25 is all I have come across. Buy a metric tool kit. Stubby screwdrivers come in very handy. Watch videos on YouTube for what you are going to do to the car. They are very helpful and normally tell you the tools you will need.

Best.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
I read recently that a 25mm torx wrench is used to loosen the air filter housing on my 2012 JCW R58 Coupe, which I believe has the N14 engine. Can you tell me what specific torx wrenches or range of torx wrenches a beginner DIY Mini guy should purchase for general maintenance on that engine? And, would you recommend screwdriver type, or ratchet? I buy SK tools, if it matters.
Thank you very much for your time.
2012 will be the N18 engine

·
Registered
45 Posts
t55 for the timing chain guide posts
The original post was from a DIY person. I don't think he is going to be changing out the timing set in his driveway. I am a DIY person as well. I have done many upgrades to my car. I have replace the valve cover and gasket plus bolts every two years. I replace the spark plugs and ignition coils every two years. I have replaced the hpfp, vacuum pump, and upgraded the diverter valve with go fast bits. I would never attempt to replace the timing set. You need a lot more tools than a t55. That is a job better left for a professional mechanic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2012 will be the N18 engine
No I own the same R58 JCW. All 2012 R58 JCW's are Prince engines and N14. The nice thing about a N14 engine is it was built by BMW/Peugeot/Citroën. I recently replaced the hpfp Mini/BMW want $1,500. I bought the same exact hpfp through Peugeot/Citroën same markings same everything for around $500. BMW/Mini knows of the hpfp failures and Jack the price up to cover all their losses from recalls. Vacuum pumps are cheaper BMW/Mini want around $50 same part from Peugeot/Citroën around $20.

My R58 JCW N14 engine 60,000 miles.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Trunk Red

·
Registered
989 Posts
just get a set covering t20 to t50 at least, you'll use t20, 25 both for front panel, 30 for arch liners, 45 iirc on motor, 50 on brake discs, flywheel, might be 47 on something I can't remember, just buy the set, maybe a spare 50 as they don't necessarily last long with those discs bolts ;O)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the terrific input! I bought the Torx set and used the T25 to get at the air filter, then changed out the cabin filter the next day. I’m learning a lot about DIY on my 2012 JCW coupe but limit my tasks to basic stuff—no, I’m not changing the timing chain and valve guides in my driveway any time soon :) Also it’s clear that most of you are blessed to live in states far less restricted than California :-D I would hugely appreciate ANY advice or input on what ways I can direct my local British auto shop to improve/increase the car’s performance and remain CA street/smog legal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I highly suggest that you get the intake and valves walnut blasted. Then search the internet for Tracy Lewis RX Performance. They are located in Palmetto FL USA. I had his contaminant air separator system installed. The system can be ordered and DIY installed. Don't get this confused with a catch can. Catch cans do not work. You can see the system installed in my previous post with pictures. Every two years replace the valve cover and gasket along with new bolts. The valve cover PVC'S there are two go bad frequently. New spark plugs and ignition coils I also change at the same time. Doing this will also allow you to visually inspect the timing chain and plastic guides for any damage. I highly recommend Ravenol VMP 5W30 motor oil it is far superior and recommended by BMW/Mini. Enjoy you R58. Happy motoring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts