MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MINI CUP ME
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow MINI owners,

I have recently purchased a Cooper S in a country where the first motorsports complex has just been completed within the country, so I have been very keen to get the car on the circuit.

Unfortunately, BMW have not been of much help refusing to import JCW Challenge cars or parts. Through my many motorsports connections we have put together a package that is similar to JCW and will be trying to start a MINI CUP race championship over the coming months.

Our race package includes :-

Base Car: MINI Cooper S 1.6 165 bhp

Modifications: Graham Goode Racing ECU re-mapping & Supercharger Pulley
Pipercross Air filter Induction Kit
Janspeed Complete Stainless Steel Exhaust (with CAT)

Safety Aspects: Sparco 6 Point Bolt in Roll Cage
Sparco Seat Sub frames LH & RH
Sparco Seat Side Mounts
Sparco Seats EVO
Sparco 4 Point Race Harness
Sparco Fire Extinguisher system
Sparco Hand Held Fire Extinguisher
Sparco Bonnet Locks
Sparco Boot Locks
Sparco Electrical cut off switches
Sparco Window Net
(All Safety aspects are FIA approved)

Brakes: TAROX or ALCON 6 Pot Brake Caliper, Ø304 x 24mm, Drilled Discs

Suspension: SPAX Coilover Race Suspension, Height and Damping adjustable

Wheels: RimStock Pro 1 Lightweight, Circuit Wheels 7 X 17

Tyres: AVON Radial Slicks 205/620-17, Medium/Hard Compound

Performance: 208 bhp @ 7000 Rpm, 0-60 kph 6.6 Sec, Top speed 227 kph

Obviously, there are many parts and different options especially in terms of chassis tuning. This package above is a starter kit, which is designed to be a cost effective package. However, we want to give the customers the option to make additions too to the starter kit. Ie Sway Bars, Adjustable Pillow Ball mounts etc.. However, we feel that only one brand should be recommended in the sporting regulations so that cars remain somewhat the same.

We would very much appreciate any comments, suggestions, and recommendations from all you MINI racers out there.

The reason for me posting this topic is :-

1. To gain some knowledge about what parts are good and which are not for optional extras.
2. What kind of different packages all you experienced MINI racers would recommend for circuit cars. (Eliminating understeer).
3. To get feedback on whether our package is a good starter pack.
4. To obtain info on suspension and chassis setup (Camber, Toe settings and Tyre pressures).
5. General comments and suggestions.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing your views.
Regards
Ryan

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

That sounds like a pretty good package.

There are a few things of things that I would also recommend,

1) A limited slip diff would be a big advantage for circuit racing
2) An upgraded oil cooler would also be of value. The stock cooler simply doesn't cope running the supercharger at increased boost for prolonged periods on the racetrack
3) You need camber adjustment, camber plates on the front, and adjustable trailing arms on the rear. In my experience the car needs to run a lot of negative camber on the track
4) The stock bushings in the engine mounts struggle to cope with the racetrack.

There is a lot of performance advantage that can be gained from suspension changes. In a "one make" type series, having the fully adjustable spax suspension, along with adjustments in camber, toe, tyre pressure etc, gives people plenty of opportunity to experiment and tune the car :D

Good luck

Cheers

Robbo

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Just a point, but if its one make series, why bother with the engine upgrade? Surely it simply raises the cost of competeing for no actual advantage? (if everyone has the same, doesn't matter whether its 165bhp or 207bhp.....

Just an idea for keeping costs down.

·
MINI CUP ME
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robbo,

Which brand of camber plates and trailing arms would you recommend. Do you have any good source for parts in AUS?

Tony,

Thanks for pointing it out but it is suposed to be mph...

Maybe, an idea to drop the upgrades especially if robbo reckons the stock oil cooler will not cope.. Aftermarket oil cooler will just increase the cost.

Or make them optoinal extras for the guys that want a bit more kick and run two classes stock and superstock. Providing we can get enough cars on the grid that is.

Cheers guys...

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would listen to what Tony had to say, (why bother with serious engine mods if everyone is going to run the same power). :confused:

For the firs seasonn i would recommend running an induction kit as a main engine mod (keeps it cheap). If you run standard engine then all you need to do is upgrade the standard pads to more track orientated ones (one again cheaper)
Where the most money should be spent is the suspension set up, get good Coilovers and i would recommend choosing carefully, road going coilovers are great but dont offer a true set up potential. (I'm waiting for the racing season to begin before i fit my KW 2 way adjustables suspension - i compete in Hillclimbs). You could also order adjustable top mounts for them which will control the camber :D :D )

You will need anti-roll (sway bars), adjustable ones will let you set the rear harder than the front to generate some lift off oversteer (plus tyre pressure, and damper settings). And then decent wheel and tyre package - depending on the use of the cars. its it pure track you could run slicks (but here you are recommended to run the same brand for all competitors).

What you might wanna have a look at is the 'Stock hatch championship' whic runs in the uk. Stripped out cars running minor mods for the engine and decent suspension. It all comes down to the driver especially in the one make series which you will run.

So to answer your questions:
1. Personally i would prefer to run dedicated track suspension (KW, Leda or other brand) although it looks more expensive it would give a better set up.
2.Keep all the safety stuff, bucket seats are great!!!!!!
3. Run 2/3 degrees negative camber on the front and a stiffer rear set up to create lift off oversteer, but this should be up to every driver and hence determine his skill.
4. A decent air filter and a remap would do you fine for the first season, your main worry now is to attract the numbers of competitors, (one they start racing, you will get the feel for how much more power is needed and what people are prepared to pay.
5. If people are prepared to do so i would recommend to take all the unneccessary trim out (NOTE: carpet in a car burns real quick so its a safety feature more than anything.) And with the EVOs you wont be able to get in the back anyway.
6. Dont bother with brake upgrades yet, just get decent track pads (cheaper).

7. If the cars are going to be track only order them with the leas amount of options (no aircon or all the poncey stuff, like leather and etc.

If you want more help drop me an email or visit our site we might be able to help with the sourcing of some parts. Happy racing

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
Front Camber plates I have are AWESOMELY well built....made by Power Products and sold by Webb Motorsports (USA).

I second the motion of a dead stock Cooper S Motor no modifications means less dollars and better reliability. It should be also easier to control the cheaters that way.

I would stongly suggest you include wheel studs in your kit.....changing wheels with those bolts gets old fretty fast.....(unless of course you live in the third world and labour is cheap ;) )

Mr. Robbo has an AWESOME set up for his oil cooler, perhaps his supplier could get you the same in kit form plus the cooler for the CVT.......

I am not sold on rear arms.....the whole idea is to make the car loose (oooops, oversteer, sorry... ;) ) and you can certainly achieve that with the stockers. cheaper and more than likely sturdier.......

speaking of costs.......a good set of competition pads on stock brakes should be plenty. Particularly if you duct the fronts. Ferro-carbon pads from Hawk (again USA) are awesome, last very well alas, they aint cheap....but with the dollar trading at 5000 per euro...who cares ;)

Last but not least......make 'em race on locally manufactured Street tires....you could well get sponsorship, they will all be the same and yet another high cost item struck off the list..... Yes I know.......but it is definetely cheaper! Cheap=competitors for the long run.....

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

There are some excellent suggestions there.

I would agree with the idea of running on a stock cooper S engine / supercharger set-up. This still is enough to have some fun racing, and keeps a level playing field. The stock system is pretty bulletproof. You wouldn't need to worry about oil coolers etc. At the end of the first season, if the drivers want more power, then it would be easy to a fit a designated pulley / chip system / exhaust for more power to all the cars.

If you are going to be doing short sprint type races, up to around 20km max, then the idea of staying with stock brakes is a good idea. You could allow the pads to be "free" ie allow the drivers a choice, or have a stock pad. There are some good racing pads out there, Ferrodo 3000's (or 2500), Galfers etc. It also brings more driver skill into the race, as they would have to manage there brakes so they don't fade. If someone goes out hard early, they may cook there brakes, making for some exciting overtaking opportunities under brakes towards the end of a race.

As for tyres, slicks are fine, but it means everyone has to have more sets of wheels to carry wet weather tyres. I wouldn't use standard street tyres. Use a racing compound "semi-slick" such as the Dunlop D01J (as using in John Cooper Challenge). There are lots of alternatives from Michelin, Bridestone, Kumho, Yokohama, Pirelli, Continental etc. You might be able to get some sponsorship. These tyres are fine in the wet and dry, and come in varying compounds. You would need to make the tyre and compound uniform. Also, they wear reasonably well. To keep costs down, and to bring in driver skill, you should limit tyres to one set for a race meeting.

Good luck

Robbo

·
MINI CUP ME
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey,

I hear you guys, really glad i came on this forum it is a great way to find out what other people want.

Tyres - It rains maybe once or twice a year here for an hour or less so wets are definatly not needed. I would run a fairly hard compound AVON Slick which would a) cope with high track temps and b) last a good few race meetings. But everyone would use same size, compound etc...

Bhp - you guys are making sense regarding the upgrades. Keep it stock, keep the warrenty. Give teams the option in the second season to upgrage.

Brakes - Again i am a bit concerened about the heat factor here. 1 trackday and my OEM discs needed refacing and a new set of pads. Maybe a set of drilled discs with Ferrodo pads and some extra ventilation via front lower grill would do the job. Has anyone tried Sparco discs and pads yet?

Without the big brake kit and engine mods this will dramatically reduce the cost and would enable me to source some camber plates, track rods and sway bars so that teams can tinker with there setup a bit more.

Anyone that can supply all three parts?

Regards
Ryan

·
Registered
864 Posts
You are best sourcing all the stuff locally as it reduces your shipping costs.

Alta do a good sway bar 19 and 22 mm plus they have the adjustability. try K-Mak for camber plates they are a bit industrial but look good. (http://www.altaminiperformance.com/products/swaybar/swaybars.html)

If by track rods you mean rear control arms then alta do them as well, it would make sence for you to contact them to see what they say for sponsorship.

On the other hand you didnt mention susoension get KW race suspension and get the fron mounts as well which allow you adjust the camber setting.

If you need any more help visit the sete www.lohen.co.uk or email/pm. would be glad to help.

[email protected]

PS. The dealers for alta in australia

AUTOMOTIVE GALLERY (AMG AUSTRALIA)
2/85 NEW SOUTH HEAD RD, RUSCUTTERS BAY, NSW, 2027
+61 2 93261904 WWW.AMGAUSTRALIA.COM

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi Trutchy,

What country or region are you from? It might help making some recommendations of particular suspension / brake manufacturers etc

By the way, on other thing with running stock brakes, it is gives you option of running the stock mini rims, which is another cost saving.

However, if there are lot of inexperienced drivers competing, big brakes may worth considering.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lohen said:
7. If the cars are going to be track only order them with the leas amount of options (no aircon or all the poncey stuff, like leather and etc.
WHAT? :eek: You mean my 1/2 leather sports seats don't help me stick to the track better? :mad: Damn, I was counting on them for an edge at Bruntingthorpe next month!

;) :D

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
PKT RKT is at least two seconds quicker than it otherwise would be cuz of mah leather seats......I swear......

Lohen...just noticed your location....done that been there....lived in Staffs three and a half years......Winkhill, near Waterhouses.....inside the Peak District National Park....... :)

·
MINI CUP ME
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Robbo,

I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates in the Arabian Gulf. Would prefer a parts source in Europe or AUS as they are not far away however with the US dollar so low it makes sense to buy in the US pay the extra frieght and still have saved some cash.

Would prefer a source that can supply all the additionals

Sway bars, Camber plates, Strut and rear arms

Already have SPAX coilovers which seem pretty good, not had anything to compair them against but they usually get good ratings in suspension shootouts.

Ta

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Trutchy said:
Hi Robbo,

I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates in the Arabian Gulf. Would prefer a parts source in Europe or AUS as they are not far away however with the US dollar so low it makes sense to buy in the US pay the extra frieght and still have saved some cash.

Would prefer a source that can supply all the additionals

Sway bars, Camber plates, Strut and rear arms

Already have SPAX coilovers which seem pretty good, not had anything to compair them against but they usually get good ratings in suspension shootouts.

Ta
Hi Trutchy,

One good source of suspension components from Australia is Whiteline Suspension

I don't actually have any of their components on my car, but they have a very good reputation. A friend of mine (Boo on mini2) had his mini used as a test car. They did numerous test days, with multiple suspension techs on hand, measuring g forces, tyre temps etc, and fiddling with suspension settings.

I know that they have anti-sway bars and front and rear strut bars especially designed for the mini, and am pretty sure they also have adjustable rear trailing arms and front camber plates.

Send them an email, and see what they have to offer.

As I said, I don't have the components on my car, but I have driven Boo's car on the circuit and in a rally, and it is a very nicely set up car, and all components have been reliable.

I wondered if you were from Dubai, when you mentioned that your local racetrack was new ;) It would be absolutely amazing to get to drive at that complex, it looks sensational :D

Cheers

Robbo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.