MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
There legal aren't they?
I think for the UK-Not sure about US?
Why wouldnt they be?
Links in with having stripes/Vipers on your car?

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
i dont know the answer to this but one thing ive always noticed when attending the JCC anycar thats been racing which then doesnt go on a trailer that is driven home. Usually goes thru the process of having every decal and racing number / logo covered with vinyl before leaving the track.

there may be certain legalities regarding having racing numbers on your car.. im just not sure what tho.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My MINI dealer has a demo car with funky door numbers on it... they look like a genuine MINI extra... I really like them and was considering them but I dont know if they're magnetic or whatever...

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I understand it, it's not a question of government legality - it's a matter of sancioning body rules. Many racing organizations forbid racing cars to appear on public roads with their competition numbers showing. Some require them to be completely covered, others let you get away with a strike mark across the numbers.

·
Registered
691 Posts
modernbeat said:
As I understand it, it's not a question of government legality - it's a matter of sancioning body rules. Many racing organizations forbid racing cars to appear on public roads with their competition numbers showing. Some require them to be completely covered, others let you get away with a strike mark across the numbers.
What he said.

On the other hand, you can put anything you want on a car here in the states, and as long as you do not violate public decency laws, you're good to go.

I once painted a Datsun (Nissan) B210 as a U.S. Navy jet, with "No step" and "rescue here" tags on it, as well as decals. No one (in authority) said "boo!"

If you want to ride with numbers, do it! Just keep in mind that it makes you easy to track by cameras, cops, or irate people mover drivers!

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
justbob said:
If you want to ride with numbers, do it! Just keep in mind that it makes you easy to track by cameras, cops, or irate people mover drivers!
That is what I was going to say. May make you stand out even more (Is that possible with a MINI?!?!) so it might not be for everyone. I have to admit that it is one my list of 'sometime in the future' upgrades.

·
Administrator
4,990 Posts
There's a red MINI in my neighborhhod with numbers on the doors. I've been seeing it around for well over a year so they clearly haven't had any problems.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
modernbeat said:
good point, i hadnt thought about that perspective.

we had magnetic door plates made up for stelvio run this summer. in a price comparisson vinyl is only slightly cheaper than magplates

·
Registered
425 Posts
Im pretty sure its legal in the UK, as JANEY has numbers on the doors of her Mini. There might be pics in her gallery, if she has a gallery!

·
Going Floral
111 Posts
Yes I have number 76 in a white Circle on each side of my doors.

I am not sure if they are legal or not ... have had them on there for months and months now and I haven't been stopped by the police (touch wood) although I have had comments from people saying I should have black line going diagonally through the numbers to show I am not racing the car!

Nope I don't have a gallery ... ... yet!! Must do that!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Janey has got a good point regarding adding a diagonal line across the numbers.

I remember a Friend of mine used to drive his road legal race car to and from race meetings and used to put a stripe of black vinyl tape across the race numbers on his doors. I suspect he would have known about these things as he was a traffic cop in his day job ;)

This was about 15 years ago though so the law may have changed :confused:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Note on the magnetic ones.. Be carful on placing them for long periods of time. you can get whats called Burn in on the clear coat. This is a common problem and can be removed by wet sanding. A preventive tip that I'm aware of. place a coat of wax on where your putting the magnetic sign and don't buff it off. When it comes time to remove the sign just buff out the wax thats there and it shouldn't have bothered the paint or clear coat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.