MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the airbag seats in my 04
Can I install racing seats or am I going to throw an airbag light if I remove the stock ones ?
If it throws a code is there a plug in resistor I can purchase to eliminate that ??

· Registered
13,636 Posts
could remove all the components off old seat keep plugged in and just cable tie up under the replacement seat will need to get a seat belt clip in as well i would guess. ie to fool the cars ecu's in to thinking the factory stuff still lives there lol
also bare in mind mot checks, ideal world would be factory seats that are plug and play etc

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what would I have to remove from the stock seats to plug in and stop a error light ? If it's too much I will just leave it as is but these stock seats are terrible when taking corners hard. And very soon I will be tracking the car too ! That is why I have had all these modification questions . Hoping to start road course next summer and I'm going to hit the drag strip in a week just to compare it to a stock level vehicle .

· Registered
13,636 Posts
anything that is connected by a electrical cable is rule of thumb, the seat belt pretensions are linked to the air bag system so those are a must, that said if driving hard you know one day it just will end up pear shaped and removing stuff that helps your body cope with the sudden stop when hitting something its high gamble, maybe stick a set of harnesses in on standard seats maybe so can be removed at mot and aids the cars restraint systems might be worth a thought

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I have the airbag seats in my 04
Can I install racing seats or am I going to throw an airbag light if I remove the stock ones ?
If it throws a code is there a plug in resistor I can purchase to eliminate that ??
I've read you can get a plugin adapter.

Is it something like this

· Registered
2,316 Posts
£35 for that contraption above is ridiculously over complicated and expensive. You just need an appropriate resistor with fuse. My R53 man sells them for a few quid.
Just make sure you disconnect the battery BEFORE you start removing the standard seats and unplugging everything. Fit the resistors and re-connect the battery after that.
I have JCW Sparcos so have the resistors I'm talking about fitted. Been in for 2 years - no problems.

· Registered
636 Posts
Disconnect the battery and wait for at least 5, preferably 15 minutes, before unplugging anything relating to airbags.

Do remember to put a towel over the rear hatch lock pin so you can still open it, unless you feel like fishing under the rear seat for the emergency release cable (and hoping that it is not broken).

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
£35 for that contraption above is ridiculously over complicated and expensive. You just need an appropriate resistor with fuse. My R53 man sells them for a few quid.
Just make sure you disconnect the battery BEFORE you start removing the standard seats and unplugging everything. Fit the resistors and re-connect the battery after that.
I have JCW Sparcos so have the resistors I'm talking about fitted. Been in for 2 years - no problems. View attachment 276110
May I plz have his contact info so I could purchase 2x of them ... I would love to get some nice racing seats in there .

· Registered
1 Posts
2,2ohm resistor £0,05 and you can plug in directly.
Yellow Electric blue Composite material Creative arts Engineering

I have JCW Sparcos so have the resistors I'm talking about fitted. Been in for 2 years - no problems. View attachment 276110

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.