MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

My baby should be here Thursday. As my wait grows increasingly anxious, I was looking around for posts from anyone who's in the middle of home improvements projects. I'm always in the middle of one. As such, I was wondering if anyone with the factory installed rack has transported things like 2x4 wall studs, sheets of plywood or anything similar on top of their rack. I know it's not the best way to get stuff home but when a Mini is all you got, it's all you got. For the big loads, I'd defintely rent something bigger. But for light loads like 2-3 sheets of plywood I would think it's doable..

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Thanks and Happy Festivus

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
Hi :)

Quoting directly from the factory roofrack manual: "Do not exceed the roof load of 75kg (the weight of both [roofrack] bars is 4.4kg plus attachments plus payload)."

So as long as you don't put on a load in excess of say 70kg you won't go too far wrong :)

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
puckschmuck95 said:
Greetings all,

My baby should be here Thursday. As my wait grows increasingly anxious, I was looking around for posts from anyone who's in the middle of home improvements projects. I'm always in the middle of one. As such, I was wondering if anyone with the factory installed rack has transported things like 2x4 wall studs, sheets of plywood or anything similar on top of their rack. I know it's not the best way to get stuff home but when a Mini is all you got, it's all you got. For the big loads, I'd defintely rent something bigger. But for light loads like 2-3 sheets of plywood I would think it's doable..

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

I'm in the same boat. We're thinking, though, of getting a hitch and small trailer. The US-spec cars are not officially trailer-rated, but the European cars can tow 1000-1200lbs and are mechanically identical as far as towing is concerned. I think I would be far happier towing a few sticks of lumber and some mulch rather than piling it on the roof. I can also get a hitch, trailer, and wiring for less than $700 (plus installation if I don't want to do it), and I think the roof rack ends up being not much less than that by the time you add a bike rack or storage bin...

And some of those plywood sheets are heavy, so 165lbs (75kg) wouldn't take long to hit. I also don't like the idea of having big sheets of wood sticking over the roof in all directions. We did a glass door on a Saab with a roof rack a few years ago, and that was none-too-stable.

-Eric

G

·
KPKalle said:
Hi :)

Quoting directly from the factory roofrack manual: "Do not exceed the roof load of 75kg (the weight of both [roofrack] bars is 4.4kg plus attachments plus payload)."

So as long as you don't put on a load in excess of say 70kg you won't go too far wrong :)
Exactly...do not exceed 70kg's. We "accidentally" exceeded the recommended weight while doing a photoshoot with a MINI and the roof caved... :eek:

...fortunately it wasn't my MINI.

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
CLiVE said:
Exactly...do not exceed 70kg's. We "accidentally" exceeded the recommended weight while doing a photoshoot with a MINI and the roof caved... :eek:

...fortunately it wasn't my MINI.
Oh dear! So I guess it's not a bright idea to push the limits stated in the manual. :(

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've carried a lot of stuff in my MCS, and I'm in the middle of renovating a home, too. I considered getting a roof rack to carry more stuff. I'm a real minimalist, so the lure of trying to carry the biggest thing possible on or in my MINI is almost irresistable.

But, the drag and damage danger beat out this siren song of overloaded trips to the lumber yard and hardware store. I only carry things internally, and have sheets of plywood and plaster board delivered.

All this talk about plywood and MINIs did bring a new apocryphal saying to mind for me, though, when I pictured some 4x8 sheets of plywood on the roof of an MCS, perhaps with an unexpected aerodynamic effect:

"When flying MINIs come out of Home Depot."

This could also become the basis of a new MINI variant....

G

·
MassMini said:
CLiVE, Can you post a pic of the caved roof MINI?

I will try and find some. The fellow who owned the MINI almost immediately left to take the MINI to a body shop to get an estimate for repairs..... :confused: :eek:

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
puckschmuck95 said:
Greetings all,

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Over the holidays we built a nice new set of bookcases. Since we haven't yet solved the "how to get things from Home Depot in the MINI" problem, we used one of their rental trucks. Even though we bought the lumber elsewhere (Home Depot's 1*12*12' lumber is expensive, and we needed eight...), the truck ended up costing less than $30, and it included gas and mileage. Well worth it for that trip...
-Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.