MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just got back from my honeymoon visit to NSW & had a great time. Saw lots of Mini's in & around Sydney, but not many on the coast on the way up to Tweed Heads.
Hopefully you guys can help me answer a speeding fine question.
I got pulled over on the New England Highway for doing 115kph in a 100kph zone & was given a penalty notice for $130.
The policeman told me that I should pay the fine if I have any intention of coming back, but use it as a beer coaster if not!
The policeman did not sign the notice & I wondered if this was normally the case.
Also, if I did not pay the fine, would there be a certain amount of time before the notice expires or would it stay against my name forever!
He did not take my passport number, but my full name & DOB is on the notice, so there's no getting away from that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just my opinion

I'm not completely sure about this but, if you visited New England (USA) and you got a speeding ticket you options depend on if you're gonna visit the US again or not. If you are going to visit again I would pay the small ticket because if you come over and ever get pulled over here again they can see that you have an unpaid ticket and give you a more severe fine and/or even take you down to the police station for a quick spell. On the other hand if you're not coming back they won't bother pursuing the ticket so you wouldn't have to pay. It's all up to you but as a responsible Motorist you should pay the fine.

Happy Motoring and Good Luck. :)

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
Personally for a paltry $130 I would pay it and have peace of mind. You never know what is going to happen. ;)

·
Smurfing Around
42,086 Posts
cymrucoopers said:
Hello,
Just got back from my honeymoon visit to NSW & had a great time. Saw lots of Mini's in & around Sydney, but not many on the coast on the way up to Tweed Heads.
I got pulled over on the New England Highway for doing 115kph in a 100kph zone & was given a penalty notice for $130.
The policeman told me that I should pay the fine if I have any intention of coming back, but use it as a beer coaster if not!
The policeman did not sign the notice & I wondered if this was normally the case.
Also, if I did not pay the fine, would there be a certain amount of time before the notice expires or would it stay against my name forever!
He did not take my passport number, but my full name & DOB is on the notice, so there's no getting away from that.
If he didn't sign it (there is a space for him to sign I think, I can't remember :) ) then it isn't enforceable by law.

But is it worth the hassle?

Personally, I would probably pay it.

But if you don't want to, then just forget it. Keep the ticket as proof though, and if you come here again, bring it with you in case you end up in court :eek:

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
At one stage a couple of years ago I was involved in the development of an international visitor road safety strategy (or something like that, I wasn't terribly interested) and there was talk of linking road enforcements to the visa/passport database so that you couldn't leave the country, or get back in, if you hadn't paid your fine. Not sure what ended up happening with this proposal but I would be guessing that nothing ever came of it. But give it time.

As far as traffic fines are concerned, the authorities in Australia are like elephants, they don't forget. Another point to remember is that if you don't pay it, you may find it difficult to rent a car when you come back.

With the exchange rate the way it is, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to pay it and could possibly be a cheap way of getting out of a full body cavity search if you ever decide to come back :D

·
The Iron Pyrite
830 Posts
WeeGas said:
I'm not completely sure about this but, if you visited New England (USA) and you got a speeding ticket you options depend on if you're gonna visit the US again or not. If you are going to visit again I would pay the small ticket because if you come over and ever get pulled over here again they can see that you have an unpaid ticket and give you a more severe fine and/or even take you down to the police station for a quick spell. On the other hand if you're not coming back they won't bother pursuing the ticket so you wouldn't have to pay. It's all up to you but as a responsible Motorist you should pay the fine.

Happy Motoring and Good Luck. :)

Ummmmm unfortunately the New England Highway here in Australia (where he got the ticket) doesn't extend all the way to New England in the USA........now that would be a good MINI drive :D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
cymrucoopers said:
Hello,
forget it

A friend of mine was in Oz for over a year, he racked up so many tickets he lost count, then he got kicked out for his visa expiring and never paid them, upon returning to the UK he renewed his passport and visa, and went back to Oz with no problems at all:)

You will be glad to hear he now lives in South Africa running up tickets over there:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts