MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, my 2006 build Cooper has developed a fault whereby the radio (any station) goes crackly when the rear window demister is switched on. As far as I'm aware, this has only just started - I'm sure I would've noticed it before!

Any ideas? My car is under warranty, and actually I do need to book it in for some work, but it would be nice to know! :)

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
I have had exactly this thing before, although it was not on a MINI.

It turned out to be one of the elements, or bars across the rear screen had a tiny cut through it (looked like either it was scratched by a dog/child of something trapped/shut against the tailgate. I found it by chance, I saw tiny sparks (and I mean tiny) when the screen was on and the car was in the pitch black of night. It was this arcing that was effecting the radio reception.

Difficult to find, but worth checking, just a tiny nick would do it. If you find a bit you think is damaged, temporarily bridge the suspected part by holding a paperclip or wire across it and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow. If it's this, I wonder whether it'll be covered under warranty... Probably not. :(

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
if it is a damaged screen element, and you find it isnt covered under warranty, you could either buy some repair paint (havent seen any for years, but halfords used to sell it, its just metal paint that you apply straight onto the damaged section) or if you are really skint, and are not bothered about losing the one bar, you can extend the damage using a needle to scrape away about a mm or so of the element and this will stop the arcing and stop the crackling, but will also stop that bar from working... it would at least let you use your radio till xmas is by and you can afford to replace the screen!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My mother-in-law's Mercedes A Class does the same thing! When you turn on the rear demister the radio goes so crackly you can't actually hear anything but hiss!

Strange huh...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts