MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just posting this in case anyone else has a problem with this in the future.

My 2008 Mini has automatic rain sensing wipers and they've been giving me trouble, even in very light drizzle they run non stop unless the car is at a standstill no matter what sensitivity setting I use. As soon as the car sets off, even at walking speed in traffic, the wipers run constantly.

Then the other day I remembered that I had previously treated the screen with Rain-X so I got a little T cut on a rag and polished the area in front of the sensor to remove the rain-X from the top centre of the screen.

Works perfectly now. :D Solved.

Dave.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just posting this in case anyone else has a problem with this in the future.

My 2008 Mini has automatic rain sensing wipers and they've been giving me trouble, even in very light drizzle they run non stop unless the car is at a standstill no matter what sensitivity setting I use. As soon as the car sets off, even at walking speed in traffic, the wipers run constantly.

Then the other day I remembered that I had previously treated the screen with Rain-X so I got a little T cut on a rag and polished the area in front of the sensor to remove the rain-X from the top centre of the screen.

Works perfectly now. :D Solved.

Dave.
Wonder what the sensor reads? Reflection of smudges on the glass?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonder what the sensor reads? Reflection of smudges on the glass?
My best guess is the very tiny beads of water left on top of the treated glass must move slightly as the car picks up a little speed and that triggers the wipers...
I did some online digging about this (not just mini / BMW) and it looks like it affects some people and not others...... Well it sure affected mine. 30 secs with the T cut and problem solved.

Maybe the screen type / manufacture or possibly the wiper blade type may have some effect on it ? For the record mine is the original Mini heated screen glass, wipers are Bosch flexy strip jobs.

Dave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.