MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mt Top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a car that made it's reputation at Monte Carlo, I am having a hard time figuring out how I can run road rallies in my new S. Specifically, since the odometer only shows tenths (with no way to interpolate how much of the little tenth wheel has gone around like on the old mechanical odometers) and since everything I have found on here tells me that my speedometer is inaccurate, I am wondering how someone could participate in a TSD rally.

Any one have any hints? Is there a way to change the trip odo to show hundredths? How about my onboard computer, can I calibrate the speedo on that? Surely someone out there uses the new Mini to road rally!

Help me motor accurately!

Charlie

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Mountain top said:
For a car that made it's reputation at Monte Carlo, I am having a hard time figuring out how I can run road rallies in my new S. Specifically, since the odometer only shows tenths (with no way to interpolate how much of the little tenth wheel has gone around like on the old mechanical odometers) and since everything I have found on here tells me that my speedometer is inaccurate, I am wondering how someone could participate in a TSD rally.

Any one have any hints? Is there a way to change the trip odo to show hundredths? How about my onboard computer, can I calibrate the speedo on that? Surely someone out there uses the new Mini to road rally!

Help me motor accurately!

Charlie
Hi,

I have a "Terra-trip". My model is 303 plus.

This reads from a mechanical device on the rear wheel to give an accurate reading, which can be callibrated very accurately for different tyre sizes etc.

I use this for tarmac rallies, where we are going as fast as possible with no limits. It is needed for the navigator to accurately call the pace notes.

However, the device can be configured to all kinds of things including various times, time stages, average speeds, current speed, stage times etc, etc. There is even a mode called "TSD" which has 4 different modes.

There are various other brands, eg halda, etc

Attached are some pics

Cheers

Robbo

Attachments

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
You're pretty much in the same boat as everyone else now, so I wouldn't worry. Most cars made in the last 10 years have electronic odometers. The accuracy issue isn't as much of an issue with the odometer, even with the speedometer, its 3% or so, which if you're worrying about 10th of a mile, probably doesn't matter.

If that fails, then get a GPS system, which will always be more accurate, and are now coming down in price. If you get one that's not for car navigation with all the maps, but will still tell you miles traveled and such, they're very reasonable - if your rally rules allow such a thing.

Pretty sure the digital speedo is the same as the analog one. They're all really digital anyway, there isn't some cable spinning that's connecting them. You might be able to have the dealer adjust the speed, but I don't know of anyone that's done it, since people usually buy the same outside diameter tires to avoid problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts