MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Recently posted on the MCS 40 Thread regarding the rally numbers on the sides of cars.

Just thought I would put it to anyone with experience (or just your 2p worth) regarding the legality or otherwise of driving with a rally sticker on the door of my car...?

Was thinking of a "37" on a white rectangular background. Think it would look great on my B/W MCS... (Maybe better if it was CR/W, but that is another thread entirely! ;) )

I know some rally organisations do not let you drive home..etc with them on as it contravenes their terms & conditions on safety or something. However, if I am not a member of a organisation, is there any traffic law relating to this?

I am assuming that there may be an argument in that it "may encourage a dangerous driving style" but surely these are just decals on a car. I am not going to break the law any more (or less) than I usually would. They hardly affect my visibility, probably increase my presence to other road users, and generally do not interefere with my driving whatsoever.

Unless I am seen by police doing 100mph, or any other type of dangerous driving (in which case having stickers or not would make absolutely no difference to me being pulled over), there should be no problem.

What possible argument would there be for outlawing this...?

Replies would be appreciated

Kodak

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi Kodak, this is a good point,there are a few Minis out there with racing numbers on the
side. AFAIK it is definatly illegal even if only for show. We always take the racing numbers off our rally cars whan on the road. Sooner or later you will get pulled. Whether you get
a ticking off or ten yeatrs hard labour would depend on the cop I guess.
Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
05 Model MCS + 05 SoftTop
10 Posts
I would concur with that my freind...

you may even get a away with one diagonal line through the number ...

Mind you...there are something like 22000 traffic offences ....could get you for anything...

Yes...I have been done for 'misuse of headlamps!!)

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
You can sticker up your car as much as you like as long as it does not contravene visibility or lighting effectivity of the car. JCW Challenge cars are often seen on the road including our works entries, we dont remove of stripe out numbers.
Point to note, rally or race numbers , big exhausts , modded lights, stripes and odd colours will make you more visible to the worthy Constabules....., so the chances of being watched with a keener eye more than Mr Mondeo will be greater.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
ButtonIt said:
Foxtons did it ;)

As far as I'm aware, it's not illegal and it's only the the Rally organisation that don't allow you to wear the numbers for their events.
You win the cuddly toy!!!:D

Its not illegal, Dom was the expert on this at one point, might be worth looking up his old posts, but basically if it were illegal to put numbers on the side of vehicles then no-one could commercially advertise their phone numbers;)

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now we are past the legality issue (thanks guys), we move swiftly onto the supply issue....

Does anyone know the best place (I am in London) to get the vinyl graphics made up? Also looking to get them onto some magnetic strips so that they are removable [..probably get them nicked after a week, though!...]

Any thoughts...?

Also, if anyone has already done this, I would appreciate some pics (or links to pics). Would prefer pics of a clean car (ok, bonnet stripes allowed) with just the number rather than loads of other decals and the number, but beggars can't be choosers! Any pics will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
Kodak said:
Now we are past the legality issue (thanks guys), we move swiftly onto the supply issue....

Does anyone know the best place (I am in London) to get the vinyl graphics made up? Also looking to get them onto some magnetic strips so that they are removable [..probably get them nicked after a week, though!...]

Any thoughts...?

Also, if anyone has already done this, I would appreciate some pics (or links to pics). Would prefer pics of a clean car (ok, bonnet stripes allowed) with just the number rather than loads of other decals and the number, but beggars can't be choosers! Any pics will be appreciated.

Thanks
we got some done for the stelvio or bust 2004 run. send a PM to wigley he organised the plates. they did metalic or vinyl. both about the same price. u supply graphic design or its extra.

heres a few pics

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.