MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've not posted for a while...

I went in my local dealers (Coopers) for some engine oil for my MCS and 3 days later i've signed up for a new Factory JCW :D

Its one that's been pre-ordered with exactly the right spec - though I would have liked it in Black or Red (its Dark Silver with DS roof). The spec is perfect though; HiFi, Chilli, MFSW, Black Punch Lea, heated seats, Vis, Mirror pack, chrome line int. and a bonus of a front arm rest woo!

I got a rubbsih trade in for my 20 month old MCS (also dark silver but with white roof) but lets just say I got a bit of a discount on the new one :)

I also got them to put black stripes on it at the dealer - maybe I should have asked for even more like the Recaros or R109 wheels.....mmmmmm.

The saleswoman actually came round at 7pm last night to get me to sign the paperwork - i'm not sure if thats great service or desperation :p

It should be ready in 7-10 days :)

I can't wait, I loved it on the test drive. Loads more torque, better handling and it sounds awesome

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Congrats on the car sounds great:D, Shame about the HiFi upgrade its so poor, would of been nice to have a better option.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thats the main thing bud, its your car.

I've had it in my past 2 R56 Cooper S's and it was the pits :(
The mid range is a bit coloured/boxy but I find the overall sound fairly "HiFi"/rounded not too much bass.
I hear the HK system on the 50/53 was more basey?

I was considering opening up the doors and adding some sound deadening and possibly new midrange drivers....

I also recall some threads about how variable the HiFi systems seemed to be. I did run my system in carefully.

Hey - I just hijacked my own thread :D

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I want a JCW's :(

Congrats on the purchase, I have never heard of a sales person to come around at 7pm to sign paperwork!
The best I got was half 6pm at the dealershiip! :p

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
I want a JCW's :(

Congrats on the purchase, I have never heard of a sales person to come around at 7pm to sign paperwork!
The best I got was half 6pm at the dealershiip! :p
I had one round at my house from a dealership 30 miles away, and what just trying to get the deal.

All factory HiFi systems suck, just some people have a better ear than others :p:D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope is a totaly new system. The old HK system was ok
I really didnt want this to become another HK vs HiFi thread but..... ;)

I honestly think there must be some significant variability in either:
1. The HiFi system in terms of quality.
2. The way people run the systems in i.e. they overstress them and make them sound like the bass is "rattly" as some people have complained.
or 3. Peoples taste in in-car sound i.e. some people expect subwoofer levels of bass [perhaps the most likely].

The reson I say this is that I think mine is perfectly respectable for the price in terms of stereo separation, treble clarity, bass speed and punch (if not extension). Overall I think the sound is very cohesive and well balanced. I am judging the system from a "High Fidelity" point of view not an necessarily a car stereo perspective.

I feel qualified to say this because I collect Audiophile Hifi separates and its my second hobby after buying cars! :D

If you want I can list my systems ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have specced hi-fi in my new works (which is late arriving!)

Have I wasted my money then? Hope not. I was more than happy with my HK in Swiper.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Have I wasted my money then? Hope not. I was more than happy with my HK in Swiper.
In my opinion, not at all as its much better than standard set-up and in my eyes its perfectly competent/good for a car hifi. Its not as good as the BMW logic 7 DSP system but thats £700 IIRC. I'd say its as good as many of the BOSE systems i've heard in Audi's/Mazdas. but the general consensus is that the early HK system was better and had more Bass weight (which may not be a characteristic of a High Fidelity sound don't forget).

At the end of the day at £300 odd quid its only a bit more than the seat heating or tinted glass (ok so its double the cost of the glass but what can that cost!) and for that you get 2 tweeters, a hidden 8 channel amp, 6x9's and 2 woofers! = Bargain :D

Just make sure you run it in softly and hopefully my second system wont be significantly worse than the first.....

·
Registered
566 Posts
In my opinion, not at all as its much better than standard set-up and in my eyes its perfectly competent/good for a car hifi. Its not as good as the BMW logic 7 DSP system but thats £700 IIRC. I'd say its as good as many of the BOSE systems i've heard in Audi's/Mazdas. but the general consensus is that the early HK system was better and had more Bass weight (which may not be a characteristic of a High Fidelity sound don't forget).

At the end of the day at £300 odd quid its only a bit more than the seat heating or tinted glass (ok so its double the cost of the glass but what can that cost!) and for that you get 2 tweeters, a hidden 8 channel amp, 6x9's and 2 woofers! = Bargain :D

Just make sure you run it in softly and hopefully my second system wont be significantly worse than the first.....
Thanks, bit more hopeful now. Not too sure what you mean by run it in softly though, does that just mean not too loud? (I am blonde)

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts

I have had 2 R56's with the HiFi and its not good at all, and for an extra £200 you can have an aftermarket upgrade from new mini stuff (Mikeythemini), which is much better. Also dont forget darkend rear glass is standard on the JCW with Chilli.

I spec my car with every option, apart from the oned that offer nothing extra. I even got a TV in my first Cooper S.... not good. And I wouldnt say the HiFI sounds much better than the standard system. If it did I would spec it ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, bit more hopeful now. Not too sure what you mean by run it in softly though, does that just mean not too loud? (I am blonde)
That's ok, blondes are my favourite ;P

Yes just dont overload it with volume or bass straight away. The speakers have rubber surrounds which allow them to move in and out to produce the sound. Straight out of the factory this rubber is stiff and it needs to soften or run-in before the system sounds right and before you can crank it up. Just take it in steps.

I dont mean you cant listen to music but just dont turn it up to a level where you might hear anything distort.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's ok, blondes are my favourite ;P

Yes just dont overload it with volume or bass straight away. The speakers have rubber surrounds which allow them to move in and out to produce the sound. Straight out of the factory this rubber is stiff and it needs to soften or run-in before the system sounds right and before you can crank it up. Just take it in steps.

I dont mean you cant listen to music but just dont turn it up to a level where you might hear anything distort.
Ah, never knew that about the speakers, thanks, will follow your advice (when my car at last arrives).
Will let you know how I get on!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts