MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got a rattle behind their dash anywhere. I'm not talking about the creaking due to heat expansion, but more of a loose fitting rattle noise.

If so, can you tell me if you've been able to fix it...

Thanks.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes

I know this is me speaking to myself but I felt i deserved a reply. Just don't hold your breath.

Obviously all thsoe wana be trendy MINI owners aren't into the computer age yet (which incidentally started over 20 years ago). - Go on, surf the net, reply to my threads !!!

You know you want to !!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rattled

Dealt with a few of these in the past and they can be often caused by cables or unsecured trim.

My mini has a rattle when I accelerate to a certain RPM, I will sort it out when I take the dash apart at some point.

The mini should be easy to make rattle free - the problem is when they are built it doesn't take much to forget one loose component. The driver always suffers!

Go to your dealers parts counter and get them to print out the exploded diagram of the dash.

Otherwise get the service dept to investigate. (may take longer to fix though!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes I have the dreaded rattle aswell.It's a kind of metalic rattle behind the steering column.It will get sorted soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Andypayne said:
Yes I have the dreaded rattle aswell.It's a kind of metalic rattle behind the steering column.It will get sorted soon.
Mine is a "vibration" from the rev counter...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Andypayne said:
hey i've just had this problem sorted :) it turned out to be a broken spring- took ages to find though cus it was from under the dash/steering wheel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rattles

I've got a rattle under the dash. If I hold the shelf it stops, so should be easy for the dealer to fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Rattles

Ian said:
I've got a rattle under the dash. If I hold the shelf it stops, so should be easy for the dealer to fix.
Sorry, to bring up this issue again, but did you get your rattle fixed? I have the same problem. It went back to the dealer on thursday and they said it was the window and that it just needed adjusting. Guess what, its still rattling!!

If you can help let me know.

Thanks

Luella :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try the flat plastic plate.........

at the offside end of the dash. Only visible with the door open. Mine was rattling if the road frequency was just right.

Tap it and see if it rattles.

Maybe?

·
Registered
17 Posts
J.N

The plastic plate does rattle when I tap it, did your dealer fix yours? if so what did they do.

Since i've been checking my car over, i have also noticed that the trim at the back on both sides is loose, any ideas on this too?:eek:

Cheers

Luella

·
Registered
133 Posts
Luella

I'm still checking where the rattle is coming from and have wedged some folded up paper in between the forward end of the plate and the rubber door seal to 'damp' it.

Try that first.

No idea on the other rattles. The trick normally, is to get a passenger to poke and prod the relevant places to work out where it's coming from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rattle

Thanks. I'll stick some paper there tomorrow before by long drive down to gatwick. It will do until i get back and see my dealer.

Thanks again

luella

·
Registered
272 Posts
hi peeps

for those who have had trouble with metal rattles within the dash/underneath the steering wheel- try taking your car back to the dealers and telling them that it sounds like a broken spring, dunno how common it is but my rattle was really annoying and turned out to be just that(?!), they took it back a few times and each time they said they couldn't find it!

:) good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rattle

Hi Luella

Havn't taken the car in yet, but my experience with other dealers is that they are often useless at finding rattles ... "It didn't rattle when we tried it" :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rattle

Hi!

I had the rattle also. Turned out to be two of the spring steel clips that hold in the wing mirror adjustment controls. There are 8 of them but two had detached and settled just under the gear stick linkage. At certain revs or road surfaces they caused a rattle.

Don't know if they were always like that or to blame the guys who fit the after market stereo!

They also left out the screws that retained the bottom of the factory stereo. Unfortunately these also hold the top of the air mix panel. Discovered on strip down to find the rattle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rattle

my rattles being fixed on thursday 25th. Its the plastic plate at the end of the dash, they're going to pack it out somehow, but only time will tell.

GAR - Welcome to MINI2:D :D

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dash creaks!!

Hi all,
I agree with Ian on this one.
Dealers do tend to say that they cannot identify a fault that is apparent to you as the owner.
The fact is though that a lot of the time they really cannot!!
However, if you insist that it's there and you insist that the fault is corrected, they must oblige you your consumer rights. (uk at least, not sure about other regions).
If you are not satisfied with what your dealer says to you, politely inform him that if they cannot sort the problem you intend to write to BMW manufacturing directly to ask their advice. If that doesn't frighten the dealer into trying harder then remain polite and actually write to BMW (Customer services, Plant Oxford, UK). They will take you very seriously indeed, and after that so will your dealer!!
Dashboards do sometimes develop creaks or rattles due to their complex nature. Although they are the same design, every MINI is an individual creation and sometimes little gremlins can occur.
Oh, and make sure the steering height adjust lever is pushed home firmly!!
As it happens, the entire MINI dashboard assembly and steering column (including steering wheel) is a BMW design pre-manufactured as one single unit by a company called Magna Kansei.
It is then fitted into the MINI, as that one complete unit, on the production line.
BMW are absolutely obsessed with vehicle quality and above all customer satisfaction, and every little MINI is subjected to many many many ruthless and unforgiving quality tests before it is allowed to be loved by you!!
Or so a little bird told me anyway.
Don't take excuses from the dealers and you can expect your MINI to be as it was intended.
All the best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
12000rpm said:
hi peeps

for those who have had trouble with metal rattles within the dash/underneath the steering wheel- try taking your car back to the dealers and telling them that it sounds like a broken spring, dunno how common it is but my rattle was really annoying and turned out to be just that(?!), they took it back a few times and each time they said they couldn't find it!

:) good luck
Can you be more specific? This sure sounds like my problem, a metalic buzzing rattle noise behind the steering wheel. It's not the OBD II cover. It started recently, with about 3500 miles on the car, shortly after installing the "Euro Parcel Shelf" on my left hand (drivers) side. It sounds like it could be coming from the column itself.

I'm getting ready to remove the parcel shelf and see if that changes the problem, but I'm hopeful that it won't, that there is another part that's making the noise. Given that I can't stop the noise with pressure on external bits, and it really sounds like the source is deep, I think it must be something else. Ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Minae
If the rattle/buzz started after you had the parcel shelf fitted on the drivers side.
Could be the 2 pins that locate the shelf at the top corners could be loosly assembled to the shelf
or
Pins could be loose fit when engaged to the mating parts in the dash.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts