MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this before in another thread - the owners thought that it was the rear seats.

It is worse over uneaven ground and it a bit like those rubber balls on the boot cover knocking from side to side but louder.

Test to see if it is the hatch - put your rear seats down and drive along. If the noise is louder it's probably the hatch.

I have had this a couple of times (my dealer sorted it the first time) and it is easy to fix as you can unbolt the catch and adjust it without removing any trim (just the two plugs).

The catch doesnt appear to be mounted on very solid metal which allows it to move because of pressure put on it when you slam the boot. I think I'm going to put some sticky fixer (wonderful invention for sad car taker aparters) under it to keep it in place before I bolt it up again.

Hope this helps some of you with similar rattles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I have this problem - what do you mean by the "catch" and what do you need to unbolt it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How to adjust yourself...

When you open the boot there is the ledge with two round plastic plugs on it either side of the boot catch.

The catch has two parts - the U shaped bit of metal bolted onto the hatch (best left alone) and the lock mechanism bolted onto the car.

Pop up those plugs and you will see two bolts underneath - loosen the bolts (not too much) and the catch can be moved back and forth.

Try pushing the catch forwards (toward the back seats) to make to hatch close more firmly (or vice versa) - don't do it too much or it won't shut. Tighten the bolts and test it out - make sure everything is square.

A little goes a long way when adjusting these things.

Alternatively you can remove the whole plastic ledge by removing the 3 clips from inside the boot.

Antother adjustment is on the boot hatch itself, tehre are two rubber stops one either side. These can be screwed in or out they affect how flush to boot is to the body.

So a combination of the catch and rubber stop adjustments should make a perfect boot shut.

Most modern cars seem to employ this technique.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Mooser, will give it a go:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts