MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong i'm well chuffed with my Cooper but OMG !! where are these rattles coming from in the top centre of the dash??!

Do dealers now how to fix it :( ? or has anyone fixed it themselfs ?

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
On my Sept 05 ONE i have a rattle/buzz.I managed to figure out that it was the speedo,or the chrome surround.If you touch the perspex face of the speedo very lightly the buzz/ rattle dissapears.Took it to the dealers last week expecting them to either find nothing(you know what its like with intermitent faults) or to replace the chrome surround but they said they have to order the whole assembly from Germany,and they've booked it in for the 6th to be fitted ...along with a new heated front screen cos the one i have currently only clears the drivers side and is faulty.I hope they make a good job of the screen and don't leave any scratches.

·
MINI2 Sex God & etc......
1,106 Posts
Had loads with my car been in more times than I care to remember!!!!!!!! I still have the odd rattle but I fade them out with load music normaly. Seems to do the job, until you turn it up even loader then it starts to rattle the hole car!!!! lol

It's a mini thing ey?!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is the one thing that I really hate about my Mini and I have considered getting rid of it because of the rattles.

It rattles everywhere, from the dashboard, from the rear seat belt area, door frame etc.

It is such a shame that they use so cheap plastics.

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
:mad: :mad: Rattles have been driving me crazy lately. I really don't understand MINIs sometimes.... my last Cooper was extremely solid. It had a squealing window problem, but that was promptly fixed by the dealer. My current Cooper is faster than the last (?? :confused: ??) but has too many rattles to count. I'm going to start twitching. I know they have the ability to build a rattle free car.. as demonstrated by my first Cooper.... so whats the issue??

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
After frequenting these forums for six weeks before I got my MINI, I was pretty much resigned to the rattles phenomenon. Of course, I also had the "it won't happen to me" syndrome, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew it would.

Sure enough, with the h/k on, the place sounds like it's gonna explode. With the h/k down low, the passenger side speaker housing rattles/vibrates. Rattle here, rattle there, rattle everywhere.

BUT!!!

You know what?! I don't care. I don't care one bit because with a suspension tighter and a body more rock solid than 99% of all cars produced today, you are going to get rattles. It comes with the territory. I also resigned myself to that. If I was driving a pillow on wheels Jag or Lexus, then any rattle would be unacceptable. I am driving a MINI. A vehicle shaped out of a block of stone with four wheels, a peppy engine, and one hell of a sound system. So what can I say but:

Ratlle on!!!

or for you U2 junkies, Rattle and Hum!

....ok, bad joke. :eek: :p

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
How odd that I am reading about rattling '05 MINIs but my June 04 one has done 11.5k miles and no sign of any rattles yet (I am touching wood with the rest of my limbs as I type!)

I have had a passenger seat stuck in recline and a faulty H/K speaker though :rolleyes:

Oh well MINIs treat you mean to keep you keen!

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
I find the rattles and buzzes on my Aug 04 build S with 2700 miles seem to be pavement-specific, coupled with the hard run-flats. The rougher or coarser the surface, the more weird buzzes and light rattling I get. The smoother the road, hardly any.

Not going to bug my dealer until what ever is making noise does it on a consistent basis. Jimbo

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
glad it's not just me with these buzzes and rattles coming from the dash and door!

I love the car to bits but I don't think the fact the SS+ and rock solid body is an excuse, my mates just bought a new golf and the sus is not far off as hard as my cooper, it's so quite and rattle free.

Anyway the Pro's of the mini far outweigh so few con's :) and i would buy another just down to the pure fun factor!

P.S my girlfriend finds it hilarious that mini drivers wave at each other lol !! and humbug to those that don't wave back !!!

·
Is it just me, or...?
546 Posts
Does anyone else get the odd strange squeak sometimes when cornering hard?

I got a Cooper from new about three weeks ago, and don't really have rattles so far (after 1700 miles), but I do get the odd high-pitched squeaks now and again. It seems to happen sometimes on a rough road, when the suspension is slightly loaded & compressed - on a hard left bend, it happens on the right-hand side, and vice-versa. I have a feeling it might be something to do with the wing mirrors, as it comes from around this area. Maybe it's the mirror caps, as they just snap into place, don't they? It doesn't happen all the time though, maybe it's temperature dependent as well? That's another reason I think it might be the mirror caps, also I have the folding mirrors, maybe these aren't as solid as the fixed ones. Either that, or the seal around the doors & windows. It's not that loud really, just a bit louder than the PAS whine.

The only other I get is the odd sqeak from the centre of the dash occasionaly.

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
refer to my post above from the 1st December,took my car in for a buzz/rattle and new heated front screen and both of those are done but the service chap honestly pointed out that in putting the dash back in they had caught the edge of the black dash top where it meets the a pillar and there is now a small split,so they've ordered a new dash.To be fair they did tell me what had happened and it was in a spot that i probably wouldn't have noticed for a few days so i'll let them off.Just got to wait until it gets light so i can check the car over thoroughly and make sure i have no other additions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup, really happy with my Richard...he is very zippy. But Sunday was another historic day (after the day I took Richard home which was Dec the 2nd). Sunday, while driving on a back street (stone-paved, how do you call it) I heard the first rattles. They are coming from the dashboard, cannot say the location, I think the dashboard squeaks and rattles...the plastic used, the clocks, everything. It's not really loud but I CAN hear it which is pretty annoying.
And I found there are some rattles in the backseats. I suspect it is coming from the folding seats, the system, don't know how to explain it. It seems the seats themselves rattle a little, it is not from the seatbelts, I locked them.
But, anyway, it is so much fun and I really love richard, it's so much more than a car...

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Not sure if I just have a rattle free MC or am just not listening out for the right type of noise as I do not seem to have any rattles. From reading these forums I am now actively expecting a rattle from my car and the only things I seem to hear are my CD's sliding around in the glvoe box or a bottle of water in the back seat. Had a coat hanger in the boot for a while and thought that was a rattle.

Fingers crossed I have no rattles still!

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
wildchild jules said:
Not sure if I just have a rattle free MC or am just not listening out for the right type of noise as I do not seem to have any rattles. From reading these forums I am now actively expecting a rattle from my car and the only things I seem to hear are my CD's sliding around in the glvoe box or a bottle of water in the back seat. Had a coat hanger in the boot for a while and thought that was a rattle.

Fingers crossed I have no rattles still!
Hahaha...listen too hard and they will all jump out at you!!! BOO!!!!! Hahaha.... :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an Oct 04 build Cooper and ordered it will 15" wheels with non-run flats to avoid the risk of rattles (they drive me nuts) and 2.5k later it has none apart from a speaker cover buzz in the drivers door and thats while the music is playing. I think the quality of constuction is pretty good overall. :D Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
dash rattle

i've had my current MCS for 2 months now and also suffer an intermittent dash rattle. seems to come from the centre console. not always present.

compared to the MC italian job edition i drove previously, the new car rattles more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.