MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some informed knowledge on the time it takes from filling in the build sheet to delivery date of the car.

The problems being raised here on MINI2.com, may lead me to delay delivery, or possibly cancel altogether unless BMW start addressing the current owners and depositees concerns about what appears to be complete inconsistency of build quality between cars coming out of the UK Factory. I have little doubt now that the main cause is build quality, not design.

My "S" is not due for delivery until Sept/Oct 2002. This is after placing my order on the 10th November 2001. The build sheet is supposed to be filled out in Jan 2002, when full oz specs will be available.

I would prefer now to defer the car until such time as ALL the current MAJOR issues are addressed by BMW AG either privately to all current owners/depositees or publicaly such as this site. This deferral is dependent somewhat on the actual time it takes to deliver the car from the order date.

Anyones informed comment would be appreciated, BMW's direct answer would be preferred.

Thank you.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Don't do it Basil, hang in there!! If I read some of the posts on here and I didn't own a MINI I would feel the same as you.:(

I do own a MINI and I don't. ;)

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
883 Posts
Basil said:
My "S" is not due for delivery until Sept/Oct 2002. This is after placing my order on the 10th November 2001. The build sheet is supposed to be filled out in Jan 2002, when full oz specs will be available.
In which case you have nothing to worry about. My order has been delayed primarily for financial reasons (I want a higher spec therefore I need extra time to raise more money) but another reason for delaying is to give BMW a greater amount of time to sort out any remaining problems. It seems that almost all cars have occasional early build problems, including the Toyota Yaris! Sept/Oct 2002 (even allowing for a greater ship time) will be more than long enough for early production problems to have been sorted; it's about 16 months from the start of production. Go for it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Basil, it's important to remember that it's usually the dissatisfied or unhappy usersz who post their complaints to furums such as these.

Take a look at any tech forum devoted to Windoze - reams and reams of complaints from people who can't get the OS to run at all. Yet for most of us, our PCs function reasonably happily - a few minor issues from time to time, but mostly trouble-free.

I'm certainly going to look out for saggy seats, leaky lights and pulling left when my Cooper S arrives, but as they're known problems I expect my dealer to sort them (or face a whole heap of trouble from me - usually I've found the dealerships get very co-operative once they realise the alternative).

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks to all for your positive replies.

My heart has ruled my head from day one on this. I keep changing my mind on the issue as those of you who have read my posts elsewhere on different issues can testify.

My head is starting to take over unfortunately.

It would seem some dealers are adressing these problems better than others, but obviously personalities have a big role in how a dealer is going to respond to peoples problems. My dealer is in complete denial about any of the so-called "known" problems, as would be expected I suppose. He needs to get to know me a bit better I think, then maybe he'll relax about talking about the issues I have.

All this would be much simpler If BMW could at least acknowledge that "yes there are a few problems". Maybe some people are put off purchasing if they know theres a problem, but I would feel much happier in the knowledge that BMW have admitted there's a problem and given an public undertaking to fix it. As I say, I don't think its the car, it's the way it's being put together, and thats a very difficult thing to change in the short term.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:
Can anyone give me some informed knowledge on the time it takes from filling in the build sheet to delivery date of the car.

The problems being raised here on MINI2.com, may lead me to delay delivery, or possibly cancel altogether unless BMW start addressing the current owners and depositees concerns about what appears to be complete inconsistency of build quality between cars coming out of the UK Factory. I have little doubt now that the main cause is build quality, not design.

I would prefer now to defer the car until such time as ALL the current MAJOR issues are addressed by BMW AG either privately to all current owners/depositees or publicaly such as this site. This deferral is dependent somewhat on the actual time it takes to deliver the car from the order date.

Anyones informed comment would be appreciated, BMW's direct answer would be preferred.

Thank you.
Basil

I recommend you take heed of the old adage, "It's better to regret something you HAVE done than something you HAVE NOT..."

i.e. Buy the Cooper S. DO NOT cancel that order!

She'll be right!:rolleyes: /:p

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Rich......

PS. Have you seen an Indi Blue/White roofed Cooper yet. In the flesh I mean ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Basil,

If you don't get the S you will regret it.

I am #2 at my dealers in Melbourne (this is the 2nd dealer I have been too - need to find the right one for you) and I have informed him of all the faults (I think it is better to know of the faults than not) and was very intrested and he even logs on to MINI2 for information. I have also talked to the #1 BMW Mini person (who was responsible for training all Oz Mini sale people and was very intrested to learn about all the faults). By letting them know you are aware of the faults in England I'm sure they will try and look after you. You have to expect any new car will have a few faults so I think it might be best to defer are you will miss out on all the fun.

Andy

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MINICS said:
Basil,

If you don't get the S you will regret it.

I am #2 at my dealers in Melbourne (this is the 2nd dealer I have been too - need to find the right one for you) and I have informed him of all the faults (I think it is better to know of the faults than not) and was very intrested and he even logs on to MINI2 for information. I have also talked to the #1 BMW Mini person (who was responsible for training all Oz Mini sale people and was very intrested to learn about all the faults). By letting them know you are aware of the faults in England I'm sure they will try and look after you. You have to expect any new car will have a few faults so I think it might be best to defer are you will miss out on all the fun.

Andy
Thanks Andy.

I think it's nieve to think the Dealers here are unaware of the problems with "some" of the MINI's in the UK. This is my whole point. My Faith in BMW is being undermined by their silence on the issue.

I guess the worst case would be selling the car straight on at delivery if there is no resolution to the issues. My car will cost around $50,000AU by the time i've finished specing it and I'm sure I'd have no problem shifting it. You are quite right. Unless we advise our dealers of our concerns they will not be pro-active in reassuring us the Oz spec cars will be ok. I do know that no suspension changes are being made to oz spec cars, which is unusual. There is probably still a few weeks before the oz specs are available, and I will broche the subject with my Dealer again at that time. Someone else here suggested the delivery delays are being caused by sorting out these problems at the factory. I hope this is the case. Thats why I'd like to see some informed comment on the issue from BMW AG.

Cheers, and thanks again for the positive thoughts.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:
Have you seen an Indi Blue/White roofed Cooper yet. In the flesh I mean ?
Yeah, I saw one in October at Oxford MINI dealer prepped for customer delivery - A Cooper, but not an S obviously - It looked sen-bloody-sensational. Buyer had opted for white 5-spoke wheels, which I thought were nice, but personally prefer silver. Interior was std black cloth - Looked fine too

:cool:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rich said:

Yeah, I saw one in October at Oxford MINI dealer prepped for customer delivery - A Cooper, but not an S obviously - It looked sen-bloody-sensational. Buyer had opted for white 5-spoke wheels, which I thought were nice, but personally prefer silver. Interior was std black cloth - Looked fine too

:cool:
There was one at my Dealer here (have a look in my Gallery) that should eventually find it's way down to you.

If you'd like more photo's send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send them to you. Not that impressive but they are "real" photos.

cheers

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:

There was one at my Dealer here (have a look in my Gallery) that should eventually find it's way down to you.

If you'd like more photo's send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send them to you. Not that impressive but they are "real" photos.

cheers
Thanks Basil - Very nice car - Looks exactly like the one I saw in Oxford - ahhh, happy days...

BTW, have you seen the EVO 039 Mini JCW review - I want one *now*, in *that* colour, with *those* wheels! :mad:

I see your gallery features a similar car;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rich said:

BTW, have you seen the EVO 039 Mini JCW review - I want one *now*, in *that* colour, with *those* wheels! :mad:

I see your gallery features a similar car;)
No I havn't, is the issue you refer too on the shleves now ?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Basil,

I went through exactly the same thing :)

Read my thread Does anyone own a fault free Mini ??? and you will see.

I have also read just about every post on this site with regards the build quality of the new Mini.

Yet I am still taking delivery of my Cooper in Jan 02 :)

Nuff said;)

Don't worry Basil ALOT of the build quality issues have been ironed out and the 'pull to the left' syndrome will be sorted by the time the Cooper S is launched. You have to admit the problem seems to be less common on recent builds.

I know you are trying to put your sensible head on; has to be done really. But look at it this way...you are going to be buying one of the best drivers cars in the world pound for pound. Should you be unfortunate to experience problems, the Mini come with three years warranty (well I assume they do in OZ), so it will get sorted.

But if you cancel now (of which I am convinced you won't :D ) you will be gutted come Sept/Oct when you see people driving a Cooper S.

So buy your Mini Basil; the fact that you are a regular on this site shows that you are Mini Mad:eek:

So follow your heart:)

LMB:D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:

No I havn't, is the issue you refer too on the shleves now ?
Yeah... It's one of those 'Latest Issue - Air-freight' orange sticker jobs. AUD18.95 well spent!:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Basil said:

Basil,

If it stays the same as BMW's system, which it is supposed to be, the production # is given to the dealer, they spec it, and then the car is built and shipped. Here in the states that means that a January spec would arrive in March/April. If you have a November build, they probably won't be able to put it in the computer til August or so, giving you some time to watch the posts. You can also contact the dealers in the summer to see how the first S models are coming off the line. By then they will have built 10-20,000 MINI's, so the problems should be eliminated. Hang in there, cause it's gonna be a fun ride!!!!:cool: :D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank You

Ok, I'm glad I checked here, because i'm no longer getting e-mails confirming replies to posts for some reason.

Anyway, I'll put that EVO magazine on my shopping list.

Thanks again for all the positive & informative replies.

My head says wait, my heart says go for it.

Certainly there is no other vehicle available with those looks, that performance, and with a "perceived" BMW build quality.

I think a trip to the dealer for a MINI fix is called for.

cheers again, and Happy New Year Everyone.;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it's been a while.......

I have of course spoken to BMW Australia, and got their comments on the MINI problems.

I must admit that, especially with LMB's car, the pull problem is yet to be ironed out. Oz Cooper S spec's are due next week. Although I'm still more than keen, I may yet still defer for a little while. It is very difficult to get a real feel for the number of cars with this problem. And although it has been raised in two threads now, no one seems very keen to approach Foxten's regarding their fleet of MINI's. It would be VERY interesting to see their service records.

MINI have been incredibly slow in responding to Paul's request for an "official" statement over the "Pull" problem, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being very cynical over BMW/MINI's lack of integrity on this issue.

My previous vehicles have been leased through my business, but the Cooper S was going to be an "owned" cash pride & Joy. Not sure i'm happy throwing $50,000AU at a possibly problem prone vehicle. I may yet toss in an extra $5000 and buy a Subaru STi, as I KNOW I'll have no problems with it even though it seems they don't float, which could be a drawback! I'll even put up with the bloated goldfish looks. 206KW is a bit hard to ignore for that kind of money.

cheers

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Basil,Basil,

Take those blinkers off matey and look at the BIG picture how many MINIs have been sold since launch probably thousands and how many have the pull to the left syndrome a very small fraction IMO.

Dont forget though not everyone that owns a MINI belongs to MINI2.com.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts