MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first of all, Hi to all!!! I've been following the forums here (in underground mode) since January, and my decision to go for a mini was greatly influenced for what I read here.

I just wanted to add my 2Cents worth to the whole "What is like driving a mini"... but with a Real Life twist...

First a little background: I drive 200 kms (120mi) everyday from my house to work (that is roundtrip), I have the luck to live and work relatively close to a no-speed-limit Highway (so you know now in what "drivers paradise" country I live), so for me, DIESEL, is the only way to go... My previous car (320d) made 175.000 kms (106.000mi) in 3 years...

So, yes, I drive a lot and I drive also fast (not reckless, mind you, fines are HUGE here).

So I was not so convinced about the little 1.4, 75BHP "underdog" brother of the mini range... "What the heck", I thought, "let's give it the benefit of doubt and let's test drive the thing"... So I took the chance and literally (like many others) fell in love the car... so the first thought once the test-drive was over was, while grinnin: "I gotta get me some of this!!!". :D

So I ordered my mini, got rid of my 320d (not a bad car at all, highly reliable and recommendable) and after an endless wait (it was "only" 3 months) I started driving around with a big grin...

OK, so much for the raving... you all know that already... here the real life facts:

Fuel Comsumption:

I could never get 50mpg... simply 'cause I cannot drive at 60mph for any longer than 5 minutes... my normal cruise speed is between 140kph and 160kph (85mph to 100 mph)...

With that driving style (mostly highways) I get a nice 40.55 mpg (5.8 lts/100 kms)... Which I find is GOOD!!! Hey, it allows me to tank once a week... and remember I do 1000 kms each week...

Acceleration:

Not much to say... the thing drags a bit... but you can compensate by making the music louder, flashing at passing minis, and enjoying the ride much more than the bored-looking-guy in the silver mercedes next to you!!!

I "might" do a little chip tuning later on... who knows... so far, I don't think I need it...

Top Speed:

Much more amazing... Even than the BMW literature says that the top speed of the MINI one D is only 165kph (and I swear I almost didn't buy the car based only on that) I can report happily that my UNMODIFIED MINI One D has gone all the way to 183 kph on a flat, road with the Air condition on!!! That is 111 mph folks... not bad... It will do this a little over 4000 rpm (to get to 140kph it will be about 2900rpm).

So... :eek:

If you are still awake after all the raving... what do I have to say about this car??? Simply... Stop reading forums and go get yourself some of that!!!

Before you ask, my specs:

Mini One D. Delivered July 2004 (still old kit)
Chile Red
Pepper Package
7 spoke 15" wheels (I prefer the handling than the looks!!!)
Automatic AC, Cruise Control, tinted windows, Boost, half leather (black leather and red kaleido fabric...just look good, with the red doors!!!)
Chrome chrome chrome!!! Everywhere...

I think this things looiks amazing... and everybody at work has to do with it... only problem is... The fighting with the wife over who gets to drive it!!! Suddendly she doesn't like her brand new car anymore...

BTW, Any other Venezuelan-mini-drivers around???

See ya!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kissato, you are a fast reader!!!

About the mini getting looks... I guess it happens to all of us... and then we have to keep fighting our egos back!!! ("It's the car, not me!!!) :)

Have a nice weekend!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
OnereD said:
With that driving style (mostly highways) I get a nice 40.55 mpg (5.8 lts/100 kms)... Which I find is GOOD!!! Hey, it allows me to tank once a week... and remember I do 1000 kms each week...
Welcome to the forum. I too have recently taken delivery of a MOD and love it.

Are your mpg figures in US gallons?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes... in all my ignorance, I found out this morning, while writing this, that there are US Fluid Gallons and Imperial Gallons... ( A lifetime of liters, meters, kilos, etc... don't help with this)

Man, why don't we all make life easier for all of us and start counting liters instead... :)

Simply multiply my given US Gallons by .83271 and you will get Imperial Gallons.

Have a nice weekend...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Pepper'D
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing