MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone knows if these can be replaced separately without replacing the whole caliper? I have looked on real oem and the diagram is sadly lacking and I am left still unsure. Just changed my rear pads and one sides had almost disintegrated completely and then the other side split while winding in the caliper.

Both piston's are not seized and obviously I don't want to got to the expense of new calipers at £152 + VAT per side unless it really can't be avoided.

Also I would like to do this sooner rather than later before too much dirt and grime get in there - and then seizing or scoring the bores of the caliper.

Cheers

Paul

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Hello, the part you require can be brought separately from a BMW dealer for very little money. You may require a special tool to press the rubber seal firmly into place.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Just wondered if anyone knows if these can be replaced separately without replacing the whole caliper? I have looked on real oem and the diagram is sadly lacking and I am left still unsure. Just changed my rear pads and one sides had almost disintegrated completely and then the other side split while winding in the caliper.
Part no 12 Dust Cap on the OEM diagram, not really obvious as it looks as if it is outside the caliper. You are in good company if you split the boot when winding in the caliper :eek: .

·
Giving the MINI2 a try
9 Posts
I have the same problem. Can these be replaced or does it have to go to a dealer ??

Just took my car to ATS to have the rear pads replaced and they refused to do it as the seal was split. Apparently its against their policy to wind in the piston if the seal is split. I can kinda see their point but VERY frustrating.

·
Giving the MINI2 a try
9 Posts
Just ordered a new dust seal from Mini Sevenoaks for £12 !! Does anyone have any advice on how to replace this as the existing (damaged) seal is proving reluctant to moving ....

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Normally with this type of rubber boot / dust seal it has to be fitted into the bore before the piston. The piston then effectively holds it in place.
So if youre doing a caliper overhaul, you have first fit the pressure seal into the bore, then fit the dust seal into the bore, then press in the piston feeding it through the dust seal and then make sure the dust seal outer edge locates around the piston exterior to complete the job.
The inner edge of the dust seal then makes a sort of wiper seal on the piston to keep the piston clean and stop debris getting into the main seal even if the boot does become split.
Bit hard to describe in words, but I reckon you will need to pull out the piston to fit the dust seal here, thats why you cant budge, it doesnt just fold over the exposed piston after its fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just ordered one from BMW and the info with it says you need a special tool. I assume it's just a big cylinder you puch it on with. I will try to improvise tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts