MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cooper Baker Street, Rooftop Grey Metallic, Black Roof, Bonnet Stripes & Wheels.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
-- Mini Cooper R56 --

Hi there, Hopefully one of you guys can help me out here...

I bought new discs and pads to go all around. I fitted 3 of 4 corners without any problems... but the rear Drivers side brake piston won't wind back far enough for me to get the caliper over the new pads. It wound back a little bit, but doesnt want to wind back any further. It still turns fairly easily, but doesn't actually move.

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Snout Metal

Automotive tire Gas Rim Automotive wheel system Circle

Gas Auto part Metal Screw Automotive wheel system

Gas Automotive tire Human leg Auto part Bumper

Gas Wood Auto part Automotive wheel system Bumper

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,497 Posts
try it with the fluid reservoir cap off or the bleed screw venting some fluid out perhaps?

Reactions: Milble79

·
Registered
Cooper Baker Street, Rooftop Grey Metallic, Black Roof, Bonnet Stripes & Wheels.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try it with the fluid reservoir cap off or the bleed screw venting some fluid out perhaps?
I thought the same and took the cap off the fluid reservoir, No joy. I might just remove and re-build the caliper altogether, just thought I'd see if there was an easier fix first.

Thanks for the reply. (y)

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
make sure you got the pads fitted right way around ,, ie the inner to piston pad has the bigger looking part for the brake wear indicator on it, if try and fit that pad on the outer there are two nipples that make impossible to get the calliper over them ,, if do with force it will wear the pads on a uneven and brake pedal feels spongy

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,497 Posts
is the park linkage against its stop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
make sure you got the pads fitted right way around ,, ie the inner to piston pad has the bigger looking part for the brake wear indicator on it, if try and fit that pad on the outer there are two nipples that make impossible to get the calliper over them ,, if do with force it will wear the pads on a uneven and brake pedal feels spongy
Yeah I've got the pads the right way around, I made sure to double check that. Thanks for the reply (y)

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
There's enough movement to position the caliper in the correct position, Think it's more the caliper piston not compressing enough. I will double check that though. Thanks.
There's enough movement to position the caliper in the correct position, Think it's more the caliper piston not compressing enough. I will double check that though. Thanks.
what you find is callipers over the years of brake fluid not being changed will corrode the screw thread on wind back inside the calliper,, would also say make sure the handbrake cables are backed right off and easy to move etc,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts