MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A Mini Severn Adventure
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

I just wondered if any of you clubbers out there have come across any bumper protection for your clubman?

Maybe I should explain - we have a Cocker Spaniel who likes to launch himself from the boot :)

On our Cooper I was able to get a black bit of vinyl (From a US website called Outmotoring) which quite frankly was brilliant -

But wondered if something similar was available to us Clubby owners :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Rich

·
Registered
210 Posts
What about putting socks on the dog lol sorry couldn't help that.

Got 2 German Shepherds myself and know what they can be like in cars.

Sue

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I am sure that somewhere I have seen an invisible shield for the rear bumper. (The thin transparent plastic film) Can't remember where I saw it though

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know exactly what you want.... because I have it on my clubman! It can be found here:
REAR BUMPER PROTECTION CLEAR - MINI COOPER AND S C - MiniMania.com
But it's just an OEM part which a dealer will sell for less (like $40 or $45 vs. $60 USD)

If you're familiar with the "clear bras", it's a similar although MUCH thicker material. It comes in a roll with vague instructions and is very easy to install. Although it SAYS it's for a Clubman, it's really meant for a regular Cooper as there is no "notch" in the middle of the sheet for the door latch. I just cut out a small bit for the latch and the rest installed fine.

The basic procedure is:
- Clean boot sill very well(car shampoo and an alcohol prep pad included with the kit)
- Put half of soap packet included in "kit" in spray bottle and fill with water - spray down the film and the boot VERY well
- Make sure your hands are clean (the "sticky" side of the film will pick up fingerprints and not give them up)
- Peel off the film from the paper backing and spray down the "sticky" side of the film
- Place the film, "sticky" side down on the boot and maneuver into place (the soapy solution makes it easy to move)
- Use the included "squeegee" to squeeze out the soapy solution from under the film and repeat until the entire film is done
- You may need to use a hardrier to "tack down" some of the curved edges but I didn't need to do that.
- The result will look kinda bad right away but the minute air bubbles will seep out within a few days and eventually it will be almost invisible.

The end result is quite durable, and it has held up to my dogs!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same OEM mini clear plastic strip on the bumper of my clubman, it's in the mini accessories brochure and costs £19.95.

I got my dealer to fit mine when I bought the car but it seems quiet an easy install.

It's called a Loading Sill Protector, part number 51 14 0 435 870, it appears in the brochure but I can't find it in the online accessories.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only way I know it's an OEM part is that I bought it from MiniMania.... and it came in an OEM box, then when I tried ordering the boot "protection" (the load area protection), the dealer accidentally ordered the boot SILL protection so I had 2 of the same part (the dealer price was less than MiniMania but since I had already installed it I just didn't take delivery).

I purposely did not use the boot that much before I got the film because I didn't want to mess it up ahead of time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts