MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have had ongoing issues with my rear passenger side calliper. I brought new callipers, pads and braided brake lines in January this year. I had them fitted and all was ok for about a week, then the clicking started! It would appear the pad was slightly moving in the calliper carrier.
The drivers side has been completely fine, no issues.
I then got a different set of pads, no change! I then got a different set of calliper carriers(eBay) still no better. I have since brought a set of genuine BMW pads and had them fitted at the weekend, still clicking. I know it’s not dangerous and has been fitted correctly but it’s irritating!!! And is costing money endlessly on pads ect. Short of buying a brand new calliper carrier from BMW( which is extortionate). Has anyone else had this issue or am I just the lucky one??.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
If I’m honest I don’t actually know, my mechanic fitted them so I’d like to hope he knows what he’s doing?!. I can ask him to double check, odd that only one side has continually been the issue.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Hi
I have had ongoing issues with my rear passenger side calliper. I brought new callipers, pads and braided brake lines in January this year. I had them fitted and all was ok for about a week, then the clicking started! It would appear the pad was slightly moving in the calliper carrier.
The drivers side has been completely fine, no issues.
I then got a different set of pads, no change! I then got a different set of calliper carriers(eBay) still no better. I have since brought a set of genuine BMW pads and had them fitted at the weekend, still clicking. I know it’s not dangerous and has been fitted correctly but it’s irritating!!! And is costing money endlessly on pads ect. Short of buying a brand new calliper carrier from BMW( which is extortionate). Has anyone else had this issue or am I just the lucky one??.
the rear pads on them slide on to the piston on caliper, some people make the mistake in thinking the pads just slide in on piston side they must be clipped to the piston before fitting them to car together, also this will if both side not clipped on to the piston will cause a lot of brake pedal travel., i had one years ago a few people had looked at this mini r50 and had replace the master cylinder and bled the brakes until cows came home, when all it was was this guy had forced the pads back in without sliding them on the piston, worth checking that when dismantle the caliper the piston pad stays on the piston, you might find the piston lip is not holding the pad clips

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
below pics of pads and notice the right side ones have wire on them that must locate the pad to the piston and never just slotted in and think the pressure will clip them after use, it might be this ie the clicking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok interesting!. I’ll call him and ask him and see what he says.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I’ve been back in to see my mechanic, the pads are (as I expected) fitted correctly. It seems that the pads have slight movement in the carrier, as soon as I touch the brakes or pull up the handbrake the noise stops. It’s the pad that slides in, nearest the road if that makes sense. It’s almost as if the hooks on the pads aren’t quite thick enough,so allow for a bit of movement hence the clicking I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts