MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, just did mine, but have not got it rollin yet. Hear that I might be sorry for the ride becomes quite harsh. Not too worried about this though, but I'll report back as soon as the BBK gets here.

Oh, buy the way, Hey ALTA! reverse your decal on one of each pair! As you see the arms on the passenger side show the Alta upside down. :mad: ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Rally_it said:
Onasled....looks very nice. I have some altas in my basement waiting to be installed. How hard was the install?.....
Rally,
The install was actually quite simple. I spent some time laying on the creeper studying the situation and at first I thought it was going to be a problem.
You need to un-bolt all four bolts that hold the gas tank. Very easy to do and all this does is loosen the tank enough to be able to fit your ratchet up between the fuel tank and rear subframe where the inboard bolts to the control arms are. It's still a little tricky getting your ratchet in there, but once you have done one of the fout (if your doing all four arms), it becomes a no brainer.
One tip here is don't try and sweat getting that inside bolt out untill you have the ouside (at the wheel) disconnected. This will relieve any pressure on that inside bold and it should just pop out.
Once you have the factory control arm(s) out, you need to make sure you know where it came from. I'm not sure but it 'looks like all four factory arms are the same length.
I lay the Alta arm over the top of the factory arm and drop the bolts through both ends. This is how I measure to make them as close to the same length as possible. Just need to be close enough to get you to the alignment shop.
When installing the Alta arms, make sure that you keep the , .... ummm. how do I say this.... the end that accepts the wrench on the shaft itself on the outside, at the wheel and not on the inside on the sub frame.

Hope this helps. If you were closer i just tell ya to come over and we could get it done in a couple of hours.

One note to add. Try and do this with as little fuel in the tank as you can. Not a big deal, but it will help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Unfortunatly not!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
I;ve been with out my MCS now for almost two weeks and I'm suffering. :( Still up on the jack stands waiting for brakes. If they don't come tomorow then I'll just get the old one's back on and get it down to the alignment shop Thursday or Friday. I promiss to come here and post results.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just got back from the alignment shop. Only a little bit of driving involved but here are my "first' impressions of the Altas. I replaced all four control arms in the rear.
Noise. I was a bit worried about reports that these were "noisy". In my mind I was thinking about 'clinks and clanks type noise but that is NOT the case. I now understand that it must be the road noise that I was being warned about. Well, yes, it seems that I can here the pavement more, but it's not very much. I will say that if you bought your Mini for the BMW like ride and comfort, these may not be for you. If you are like me and want the best of both worlds, but care a bit more about performance at the cost of some 'luxury' then these Altas are just fine.
Ride. I was also warned that these would give me a stiffer, more jarring ride being that I have replace the cushy rubber joints with solid as the come Hiem joints. I notice little difference here, though I have only driven a few miles, but the roads are not smooth here, so I was quite happy.
Handling. Well, not sure if it's due to the actual Altas or the fact that I was able to dial in my alignment with them, but I can feel the difference, very much so.The car is a bunch more responsive and it seems to steer more neutral, but again, the test has yet to come.
Being that I don't have front camber plates yet, I was stuck with what I have, but actually it's just about right on to what I wanted. The car has been lowered with H-Sports so that has given me a bit of a negative camber on it's own.
So far, I'm a HAPPY camper.:D

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
onasled said:
Just got back from the alignment shop. Only a little bit of driving involved but here are my "first' impressions of the Altas. I replaced all four control arms in the rear.
Noise. I was a bit worried about reports that these were "noisy". In my mind I was thinking about 'clinks and clanks type noise but that is NOT the case. I now understand that it must be the road noise that I was being warned about. Well, yes, it seems that I can here the pavement more, but it's not very much. I will say that if you bought your Mini for the BMW like ride and comfort, these may not be for you. If you are like me and want the best of both worlds, but care a bit more about performance at the cost of some 'luxury' then these Altas are just fine.
Ride. I was also warned that these would give me a stiffer, more jarring ride being that I have replace the cushy rubber joints with solid as the come Hiem joints. I notice little difference here, though I have only driven a few miles, but the roads are not smooth here, so I was quite happy.
Handling. Well, not sure if it's due to the actual Altas or the fact that I was able to dial in my alignment with them, but I can feel the difference, very much so.The car is a bunch more responsive and it seems to steer more neutral, but again, the test has yet to come.
Being that I don't have front camber plates yet, I was stuck with what I have, but actually it's just about right on to what I wanted. The car has been lowered with H-Sports so that has given me a bit of a negative camber on it's own.
So far, I'm a HAPPY camper.:D
Is the car lowered, how much and what are the alignment specs?

I won't be lowering mine but it's due for an alignment and I'm sniffing around for good auto-x but still street acceptable settings.

·
Registered
444 Posts
OK, update here on the Altas. Again, I am using all four.
Put about 200 miles on them and am very happy. The car is considerably more responsive and just feel tight. If there is a stiffer ride, it's hardly noticeable, at least to me. Yes, there is a bit more road noise, but with the stereo on it's not even noticeable.
Not a whole lot of money, easy to install, and a real seat of your pants difference in handling makes this upgrade well worth it in my book. :D

One huge bummer though! I was installing new brakes this weekend and I gasped when I saw that the feekin alignment guy decided that pliers were easier to use instead of the built in wrench notches that were right beside what is now a marred up section of arm. ON ALL OF THEM! Not sure what to do but I think I should have them replace these arms for me! ? :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
onasled said:
OK, update here on the Altas. Again, I am using all four.
Put about 200 miles on them and am very happy. The car is considerably more responsive and just feel tight. If there is a stiffer ride, it's hardly noticeable, at least to me. Yes, there is a bit more road noise, but with the stereo on it's not even noticeable.
Not a whole lot of money, easy to install, and a real seat of your pants difference in handling makes this upgrade well worth it in my book. :D

One huge bummer though! I was installing new brakes this weekend and I gasped when I saw that the feekin alignment guy decided that pliers were easier to use instead of the built in wrench notches that were right beside what is now a marred up section of arm. ON ALL OF THEM! Not sure what to do but I think I should have them replace these arms for me! ? :mad: :mad: :mad:
now i want to specifically ask how 'loud' is the control arms.. i was lead to believe the helm joints will make noise... id love to have h-sport for polyurethane bushings, but ive had a friend who cracked it in a few days...

i do have an aftermarket exhaust, and plays music relatively loud... i hear just about every bump and jostle on the road.. will it be enough to notice?

·
Registered
444 Posts
No noise from the Hiem joins what-so-ever. The bars make NO noise at all, they just transfer a bit more pavement noise to the car, so you do hear the road just a bit more. Not much of a difference then some performance tires do compared to the stock ones.
Hope that answers your question...?

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
thanks for your response onasled... i think ill get the alta ones then... either those or the madness ones.. have not decided... should be good next may when i get my tein coils!

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
onasled said:
snip........

That is worth giving someone he!! over. Absolutely unacceptable.
Far too frequent now days though. Nobody seems to give a crap anymore.

Good luck

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
My problem with Heim joints is that they have absolutely zero give. Great for the track.....wait until you nail a nice pot hole at speed......you will either loose a tooth or worse be stranded by the side of the road..... not for me, while it still goes on the street, I may be tempted to use the ones with teflon or better yet, make teflon bushings for the stockers.....enjoy though!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.