MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear Fog Lights

Well, we said that we would pass your comments regarding rear fog lights along within MINI and we did. We’re happy to report that MINI is working diligently on getting you what you’ve asked for. While we are certain that our current rear lighting arrangement offers more than adequate signaling, we also really believe in doing our best to satisfy our customers. We’ve appreciated all you’ve had to say on this subject and because of what you’ve said, we’re all listening.

As these types of enhancements are compounded by regulatory and technical challenges, we ask that you remain as patient as you’ve been until we can update you further.

Thanks again for your support and your input.

MINI USA Customer Relations

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear fog lamp coming to the United States

Here is the article and the link:

Mini will get a rear fog lamp in the not-too-distant future, says Jack Pitney, head of Mini’s U.S. operation.
Big deal?

Well, it is to 729 signers of an e-petition (petitiononline.com/MINIfogs) irked over a disabled fog lamp that dresses the Mini’s rear end. Europe gets the working edition of the lamp, but U.S.-spec cars are lacking the bulb, switch and software to activate the light. Pitney says all U.S. Minis, new and used, will get rear fog lamps.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=05902078

·
Living in Mini Wasteland
351 Posts
09:15 May 13, 2003.
Mini will get a rear fog lamp in the not-too-distant future, says Jack Pitney, head of Mini’s U.S. operation.

08:58 April 28, 2003
Michael McHale, Mini communications manager, says BMW's product marketing group, which decides the content in vehicles, opted to make rear fog lights unavailable on the U.S. version of the Mini.

3 cheers for Jack Pitney. 1 Giant raspberry for Michael McHale.

·
Registered
166 Posts
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,

Mr MINIDIVISION you are the best!!!!!!

If you accomplish this feat (and i wish you the best) you will be remember nightly in all of our prayers.

I think MINI2 should think up some honor for this great man (woman?). MINI2 CUSTOMER RELATIONS MAN OF THE YEAR!!

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Wow, that's a really useful first post wdubs.

Now we can all speculate why they finally decided to do this, and how its going to get done etc (especially the 'new and used'), though maybe Pitney will answer it in the questions we posed last month....

·
Numb from Jäger
566 Posts
Re: Rear fog lamp coming to the United States

wdubs said:
Europe gets the working edition of the lamp, but U.S.-spec cars are lacking the bulb, switch and software to activate the light

Actually, the bulb is there.

The fog lights are the top section of the rear taillights that aren't lit when the lights are on or brake applied

Pull the harness out of the rear taillight. The harness numbers the wires 1- something. Simply splicing wires 1 and 4 gives you "fogs" in braking.

Ask your local hardware for wire splicers: They look something like [UU]-[UU] Place the wires on one side in each "U" then snap shut. You only need two (one right and left).

Plug harness back in to the assembly and enjoy. Now, both top and bottom light up when brake is applied.

Looks better than stock.

·
MINI2 co-founder
653 Posts
"Jack Pitney says all U.S. Minis, new and used, will get rear fog lamps" - that wording almost makes it sound like they will be recalled to have them fit, but I can't believe that will be done. Kit will prolly be fairly spendy - as it will require a new toggle bank.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This is a very significant move by MINI, in response to energetic and inspired effort by a number of people. There is a deserved congratulations to those who helped make it happen, and also a need for appreciation to MINI.

Jack Pitney has stepped up here to respect and help his customers. We should make sure this gets a proper "Thank you."

·
Registered
26 Posts
so...will we have to pay to get the extra toggle and software? jack's wording is a bit vague (goodjob official MINI copywriter!)

mine is coming in July...i wonder if this issue will be resolved by then?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Here are my other wishes:

1) Please don't dumb down the car by "softening" the suspension in response to J.D Power surveys. The SS+ is great the way it is!

2) Please don't dumb down the car by eliminating the Gertag manual transmission in favor of any form of "automatic". Let's keep the MCS a divers car.

·
Registered
750 Posts
And my other wish, (just one that's all)

Fix the windshield, quit calling it rock chip induced.

The rocks aren't that smart to hit the same spots on all those windshields, are they?

P.S. thanks for the fog lights and thanks to Jason

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad that Mini if going to make the rear fogs functional.

I recently took a trip and it was very foggy for the better part of hour and a half.

I really wish that the rear fogs were functional as it would have made me feel more secure, and would have made my car more visible.

I did see an Audi that had rear fogs, and I spotted the Audi long before I could see cars that didn't have them.

I would like to thank Mini for realizing that this is a safety feature that we should have.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Spy Car said:
Here are my other wishes:

1) Please don't dumb down the car by "softening" the suspension in response to J.D Power surveys. The SS+ is great the way it is!

2) Please don't dumb down the car by eliminating the Gertag manual transmission in favor of any form of "automatic". Let's keep the MCS a divers car.

It amazes me how some people want to impose their Talibanistic views onto others....geeez!

Hey MINIUSA, I want (And many others do) a MCS with an upgraded CVT capable of handling power and torque to 200HP. Keep offering the 6-speed Getrag for those who enjoy the driving experience and the occassional 'boneheads' that have a very narrow view of life....

And for the rest of us that have come to appreciate the fantastic CVT in the regular Cooper we would love to have a CVT version of the MCS.

This is America, not Iraq or Cuba, therefore, we all are entitled to freedom of choice, even if those choices, don't agree with ours.:p

1 - 20 of 301 Posts