MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great news - Mini is now allowing MA's to add rear fog lights to US production orders (except in Oregon). There was some question (at least from my MA) as to when the rear fogs would actually be available (even though a Miniusa bulletin release said "immediately". I feel so lucky to get this added only days before production starts. I can't wait to see the full bank of toggle switches. :D:D

·
Of course it is...
644 Posts
Yes...lucky you :) It's the only option that I wanted that I couldn't get when I ordered my MCS in August. Oh well, I'll be adding it after the fact.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
No one knows yet. It hasn't even been listed as an official retrofitable part.

The '02-'04 retrofit, which included only the switch panel, was $75, plus labor (.5 hours)

As the new one needs to include the actual light as well, I'd expect it to be over $100 by some amount, and maybe take a bit more time to install.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
It should be retrofittable very soon, but there isn't a part # or much else for info yet. As MINI never really estimates well, I suspect we'll just have to wait until they say, ok, here's the kit, come and get it installed. It could be a matter of weeks, or maybe it will be sometime next year, hard to say really, unless someone has a bit more info.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
5 hours labor is gonna kill. That'll probably be quadruple the actual cost of the kit. Too bad. I missed out by one month... :(

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
5 hours? Are you referring to my post about the '02-'04 kit?

That was 0.5 hours aka half an hour. You might have missed the dot.

Even with labor at $100 (Barring a few really expensive places, its not much more then that at the high end) then its $125 installed, which wasn't too much more then the $100 for a factory option.

I can't imagine it would take 5 hours to add in the light and then do the programming for the 2005s, so I wouldn't worry too much, it may take an hour though....

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
stryder said:
5 hours? Are you referring to my post about the '02-'04 kit?

That was 0.5 hours aka half an hour. You might have missed the dot.

Even with labor at $100 (Barring a few really expensive places, its not much more then that at the high end) then its $125 installed, which wasn't too much more then the $100 for a factory option.

I can't imagine it would take 5 hours to add in the light and then do the programming for the 2005s, so I wouldn't worry too much, it may take an hour though....

OOPS!!! :eek: My bad! Yeah, I missed the dot. Hahahaha... Now that sounds a bit more like it. 30 minutes. (goes off to find glasses...) :p

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
I called my MA on Friday and she said she'd heard the dealer-installed fogs were coming but had no pricing, etc. yet as they had yet to clear DOT approval. In some other thread (linked from North American motoring, I think) I saw a dealer memo suggesting the MAs sell the dealer-added kit to people (like me) who ordered before the factory-build kit came online. That memo mentioned Oregon and California as being out-of-bounds, but said everywhere else was OK. No pricing mentioned. I'm not sure what's true at this point. :rolleyes:

-Eric

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do the 05s right now not come with the rear fogs? Because my 04 came with the rear fogs and I got mine in June. I got to say that the toggles look so much better with all of them there. If more cars in the US had them then maybe there would not be so many people rear-ending others in heavy rain or snow.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
With the update (july production) the taillights moved for 2005 models, (rear fog is where reverse was) With the new placement, it was illegal to sell them as a factory option in CA and OR. At last check it was cleared in CA, so they're offering them again as a factory option.

They weren't originally an option. It took lots of complaining and a petition to get MINI to even offer them, and that was well after the launch of the car. There was a retrofit kit for 2002-2004s that didn't get them as an option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
stryder said:
With the update (july production) the taillights moved for 2005 models, (rear fog is where reverse was) With the new placement, it was illegal to sell them as a factory option in CA and OR. At last check it was cleared in CA, so they're offering them again as a factory option.

They weren't originally an option. It took lots of complaining and a petition to get MINI to even offer them, and that was well after the launch of the car. There was a retrofit kit for 2002-2004s that didn't get them as an option.
Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts