MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking delivery of my Cooper on 1st March.

Having read about problems with operating the sliding seats to gain access to the rear, can anyone comment upon this please?

Any other 'teething troubles' I should know about?

These threads make worrying reading.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Twist and shake.

I thought the mechanism on my MINI was the worst idea since the invention of the solar powered lighthouse.

However after a couple of months they have loosened up - the problem is also in the way they work.

My technique is to push the lever down, let the back move forward and then push the lever down a little more. A catch pops from under the seat and the whole thing slides forward.
(with very little effort)
If you pull the back to put them back it clicks into position before the seat slides back - so you need to pull the base until it is where it was and then pull the back.

Phew - didn't realise you needed a degree in astro physics to describe a seat mechanism.

It took a little practice as you want to push the seat - if you do this it doesnt work.

I have sat in the back a few times and been driven around - the only other problem is if the seats are wound down you can't get your feet under them which is uncomfortable.

I still thing a better design would have been easy - my in laws have a golf cabriolet and the whole seat back lifts up and forward. (so the seats don't need to slide):p

·
Man in the know!
3,957 Posts
I have given instructions to all my friends on how to operate the MINI seats.:D
If they run into any trouble, they should contact the driver (me) for guidance.:D :D

Mine has only 'locked up' once. That person has had the rights of 'seat operation' removed from him. What else could i do!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Any one else had an unsuspecting passenger get clouted across the head?

They lean over, fiddling with the lever, trying to fathom why it hasn't worked. Then, they push the lever the wrong way, as if adjusting the back of the seat. The backrest suddenly releases, flying all the way forward with the force of a steam hammer.

May be this was designed-in by BMW/MINI to teach passengers not to repeat their errors?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts