MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with all the runs ive been going on with my back seats out for more storage space and to save weight i thought id make a rear seat delete kit.

Got a Peice of 6mm MDF from B&Q made a template and cut the wood to shape. Covered it in a peice of Bass Box carpet and its in :)

The carpet is not the same coulor but as i got that free and the wood only cost me a fiver im not to bothered.

Its held down by 2 peices of 10mm dowl wrapped in carpet and the rear bolt.

I left the rear seat clip in soif needed it takes me around 2 minutes to put the rear seats back in with only 1 bolt to mess about with.

People say (including me) why put something back in. Well i took about 40-50 pounds off weight out and place 5 back in. Plus this looks much better IMO.

Scott

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Cool:cool::D

Due to having the Works Sparcos there is no point having back seats! I've been thinking about doing this since buying the car in December.

Any photos?

·
Firefly
164 Posts
Ohh and ive got 2 pillows under there for insulation, i had the back seats in the other night and there was no difference in sound what so ever as for the pillows :)
All these complaints about not wanting a GP becase it might get a bit loud and all that was needed is some nice pillows :D

Love your work tho, looks really good and not an expensive mod either, but one that is really worth while IMO.

·
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All these complaints about not wanting a GP becase it might get a bit loud and all that was needed is some nice pillows :D

Love your work tho, looks really good and not an expensive mod either, but one that is really worth while IMO.
It is vey worthwhile....

Dont get botherd to take my mates to the pub anymore lol not that i dent want to and it makes a great expensive van for my tiling tools :)

Plus weight saving = Fuel saving.

·
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup leather Sparco's they are ;)

Ne bother thats why i posted it up, if i could make a template for people to use i wood but its a bit big to make a template off :(

It was difficult to get the shape of the rear panels at first and it will be difficult for me to explain really lol.

Im gunna take it out this weekend and make an exact copy for one of my mates then take it to him on a run saves him measuring etc.

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I've done a couple of boot builds in my time so hopefully it won't be too bad.

i've got the alcantra ones they are awesome.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Been planning on doing this for ages now, only thing thats stopped me is I want to use the section you use to bolt the seats in, to create a bracket to mount a spare wheel. My problem, finding an 18" Superleggera :rolleyes:

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Made one yesterday and worked out around the same price!

I'll put pics up later on when i get home.

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Here's the pics:D

Mine cost around the same price. £6 for 13ft x 3ft carpet and over a £5 for wood. I had carpet adhesive and screws in the garage. I went to a couple of places trying to find a good carpet match but I couldn't but I don't mind.

So here's the results.

P1000030.jpg P1000034.jpg P1000023.jpg

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Anyone wanna make me one :D

i thought about buying the carpet from MINI as surely the piece that covers the boot area would be big enough?

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
That crossed my mind about Mini carpet.

I thought the Miltek would of been alot noiser with seats out, but I can hear the popping now even with the stereo on and windows up.:D

·
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone wanna make me one :D

i thought about buying the carpet from MINI as surely the piece that covers the boot area would be big enough?
If i was going to see ya soon on a run then i would just use mine as a template it'l only take me 10 mins but i dnt thing i will be.

Looks great that mate, thats the reason i put this up so people get the inspiration to do it lol.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
looks good and something I would consider doing permanently because of the dogs. Anyone thought of the MOT implications? I would assume because the seat belts are still there they would have to be fully operable and therefore you would have to put the seats back in for the MOT every year?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts