MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fitted some rear speakers. Here's how:-

Following instructions posted by CMT:

"The panels are on popper clips at the front and round the top, just give the panel a pull (after removing the front door seal obviosly) and it will come loose. The tricky part is that the rear seats go through the panel. To get to the screw in the boot that holds the seat together you have to remove the carpet that lines the boot... There are 2 plastic fixings (one at each of the back corners) that hold the carpet in... To remove these, use a reasonable size flat screwdriver to remove the centre pin (it\'s a pin that goes though a tube with a flat end on) the tube section of the fixing will then come out and you can remove the carpet, revealing the torx headed screw/bolt that holds in the rear seats."

Following on from this:-

Once torx screw removed, there is another nut just above it which has to be loosened. This will release a latch mechanism which secures both the rear seats. Lift up the latch and remove one side of one of the seats. Taking the driver side rear seat first, lift up the inside and rotate the seat on its axis until the other side (window) comes out. The window side is prevented from coming out by two protruding pins which have to be aligned with 2 corresponding slots on the hole. Mine was about 10 degrees anticlockwise from the vertical.

Once the seats are removed, take off the step panel covering the boot latch. This is held on by 3 plastic fixings on the vertical side and 4 poppers on the horizontal underside.

Remove the 3 screws on the rear side panel just under the light. Disconnect or pop out the light. Then release the multitude of poppers and clips that secure the panel. There are 3 poppers on the centre pillar, 2 poppers and 3 metal clips under the rear side window, and a further popper or two on the back. Careful not to shear the poppers.

Juggle the panel a bit and it should come out.

Repeat for the other side.

Phew! Took me about 2 hours. Sounds complicated but once you get going its ok and if you like music, you'll not regret it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for this info.

Will come in handy.

What sort of quality were the standard speakers?

Did you notice a big improvement with decent 6x9's?

·
Registered
208 Posts
having replaced the 6x9's as well there is a huge difference, although rear speakers should only be used for rear fill not pumping all the tunes, the change has improved clarity and overall response of the system.

Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced stock items with Infinity Kappa 693.3i.

Agreed with Tom, rear fill much more crisp and bass more solid. However, a small sub would do wonders and really should be driven by decent outboard amp(but no where to put it). Currently using Sony MDX M690 head unit. Planning to change fronts this weekend.

Therefore, if anyone knows anything about taking off the front door panels, now's the time to spill the beans.

·
Registered
208 Posts
skim

if you give me a couple of days for the weather to dry out i will take a picy of my install,

i'm running two amps one for sub and a four channel for the front component set and rear 6x9's. two flase floors both carpeted and the amps are flush fitted, i only lost bout 3" of deth of my boot,

Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
Amps

mini-mini

Did u ever get any pictures of your amp instals??
Would be intrested in seing some pics
:)
My car is having some ICE installed at the end of the
month and have 2 amp to install some where was hoping
to install under seats, but think it may be a bit tight
so might have to be the boot.

Any pics would help:)

Thanks GrahamG

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
I'd also be intersted in how you have fitted amps in the boot. Did you utalise the recess and have you got a sub in the boot too ? Pictures help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I replaced my rears with JBL GT's.

The speaker wiring connector has to be dismantled to release the spade connectors from their housing.

Otherwise, no cutting, drilling etc is required - speakers were a straight swap.

I am also looking for space for a pair of Kenwood 2x75W amps - any ideas? I already stole the space under the rear boot carpet for my CD-Changer.;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Had a few ideas

If you don;t have the tyre repair kit, that recess in the boot would take an amp nicely, little worried on how you would keep the amp cool though as it would take some work on re-building the boot floor. Alternatively I reacon you could sneak one of those little mission amps above the wheel arch behind the clip off side panel where the tool kit is kept, there is one on each side and the cable run would be easy as that is where the car's loom runs up...

What are the speaker size in front and back as I was thinking about some mid-bass drivers in the back and some spanking MB Quart components in the front... power them off my Pioneer KEH-7100R mini disc head unit for the mean time as the new range of digital amps, which are a) tiny and b) will use minimal power can only be around the corner....

·
Registered
309 Posts
how about mounting a sub up against the rear seats... you cut a circle the size of the speaker out of the back of the rear seats and mount it straight up against it... no need for any enclosures and therefore could probably sneak a 12" or 15" in there....the bass is sent directly into the car and sounds quite impressive. Saw it done to a Z3.... bit of a tricky install but sure to impress....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: Had a few ideas

jamiesim said:
I was thinking about some mid-bass drivers in the back and some spanking MB Quart components in the front... power them off my Pioneer KEH-7100R mini disc head unit for the mean time as the new range of digital amps, which are a) tiny and b) will use minimal power can only be around the corner....
Fronts are 5.25 inch / 1 inch - do you rate the MB Quarts? (see my post on Front upgrades) Which ones? Discus, Reference, Q-Series?

·
Registered
309 Posts
thanks for the dimesnions...

Have always rated the MB Quart stuff, I'll probably go for the Q series, but have been out of the game for a bit so am a little rusty with model numbers, etc...

The MB Quart stuff offers excellence performance to the the £... the are very truthful speakers as well, i am interested in quality at a decent volume and these offers bags of it...

Had Kenwood HQ series in my old Punto which for 4" components where preety good but started to fall off after time...

Was also thinking about Alpine DDD Drive speakers... they are supposed to be very respectable...

All I know is stay wide of the Sony stuff and probably wouldn't buy any kenwoods again...

If you are after a lot of impact in your sound checkou the Rockford Fosgate and Phoenix Gold stuff. The american kit is some serious stuff and built nice and heavy which is old skool for 'quality'...

If you are going for amplifier the only option is the Rockford Fosgate Punch series as they deliver the goods... nice and compact too if you don;t install the ears... could probably sneak it under the seat which is really stealth and makes them very hard to steal... had one in the punto too, loads of power though could do with a hefty power supply, you know what those yanks are like...
tell me what you reacon...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks jamiesim, interesting comments.

You are the second person to recommend the Rockford Fosgate amp - sounds like I should have a look - bit pricey though?

£200 for a 2 channel??:eek:

·
MINI2 Master (Oh Wow!)
595 Posts
SONY ice install

:D :eek: :p Getting my cooper today! Brilliant, can't wait!

Buying any branded audio products for the car and you are doing well;). Regardless of manufacturer I guarentee it will sound the dogs, personally Jamie, I have a preference for Sony (everything).It's only a computer (and a damn expensive one) that could tell sound performance apart, where who knows will be the market leader. I know I can't go wrong with Sony products.

Sweet, gotta go now to pick up my cooper, later.www.ice.sony.co.uk

·
Registered
808 Posts
rear seats

Just to add to the instructions in this post about removing quarter cases.
It's not necessary to pull up the carpet.
To free up the seats there is a 10mm bolt directly between them. It's a bit simpler that way!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: SONY ice install

alexcroft said:
:D :eek: :p Getting my cooper today! Brilliant, can't wait!

Buying any branded audio products for the car and you are doing well;). Regardless of manufacturer I guarentee it will sound the dogs, personally Jamie, I have a preference for Sony (everything).It's only a computer (and a damn expensive one) that could tell sound performance apart, where who knows will be the market leader. I know I can't go wrong with Sony products.

Sweet, gotta go now to pick up my cooper, later.www.ice.sony.co.uk

Crofty boy - trust me here, I love sony for everything it worth got a Vaio laptop,a WegaTV, surround sound system,etc, etc... and would only buy sony except in 1 case - CAR AUDIO because its all a load of crap!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i agree with you

i have been in the car audio buisness for about 8 years and sony is not a shining star in that area i only buy alpine they have a unique sound that is crisp and clean and if you dont believe me put a ice system in you car with a sony hu they swap it out with a alpine its a world of difference and many of my customers see the same. if a alpine hu can make that much difference think of what there amps could do as well oh and check out their latest digital amps they are very clean.
thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts