MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been toying with the idea of fitting the Cooper rear spoiler to my car, when I went to my dealers about it, the response was quite surprising.

This would also apply to a Cooper that doesnt already have a spoiler fitted, apparently, you cannot buy a rear spoiler for the ONE because the spoiler does not come with a fixing kit.

But, there is soon to be a specific MINI ONE rear spoiler.

It is in the new accessory brochure but not yet available. Apparently it is larger than the Cooper spoiler, when I get a picture I will scan it and pop it on the site. There will also be a body kit for the ONE, they are both under test at the moment.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
This I presume is the spoiler that can form part of the 'Aerodynamics Pack', it looks like the Cooper S spoiler.

There are some images of it on the site, and some brochures that have been given out, and this is taken from the latest news article on MINI2:

MINI's aerodynamic kit and roof decals offer 21st Century styling with a definite nod to the car's great heritage. The body kit pumps up MINI's sporting looks and costs £900 (£910 on MINIs with Park Distance Control). Available on MINI One and MINI Cooper it consists of front and rear aprons, sill skirts and a custom grille with a roof spoiler as a £155 additional option to complete the look.

£155 quid then. Hmmm... I'd rather not myself.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mini Spoiler

I also went into my local dealer and asked about fitting a rear spoiler to my Mini one. I was told that the Cooper spoliler would fit, but it is not avalible yet becasue they are still testing it. I find this hard to believe, if they are on the Coopers why do they need to be tested again,I think BMW should get there story straight. Miles which dealer did you go to??

·
Registered
92 Posts
And for the moment BMW is not allowing purchase of Chili pack spoilers as a standalone item for Coopers either. Given how nice the roof looks as standard, no biggy really.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I do like the Chili spoiler but I want to see the spoiler on a ONE before i think about getting one for my car :)

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr T has it right in that BMW are not fitting any spoilers to either the ONE or the Cooper at the moment unless it is factory fitted. This must be a policy thing as they are not providing the fixing kit with the spoiler.

Out of interest, I was quoted £220 fitted for the Cooper Spoiler, which would already have the fixing kit and about £300 fitted for the ONE spoiler.

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To clarify, if you already have a spoiler fitted by the factory then it will cost you about £220 for a new one to be fitted. This is the cooper spoiler fitted to the cooper's only.

Soon, the rear spoiler within the 'Aerodynamics Pack'will be available for aftersales fitting to either the ONE or the Cooper. This will cost about £300 as an aftersales fitted price.

Both will require spraying to the colour of your choice. If you bought the Cooper spoiler unsprayed, unfitted, it would cost about £120 and if you bought the other it would cost about £150

Phew, that was a struggle.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
m1les said:
To clarify, if you already have a spoiler fitted by the factory then it will cost you about £220 for a new one to be fitted. This is the cooper spoiler fitted to the cooper's only.

Soon, the rear spoiler within the 'Aerodynamics Pack'will be available for aftersales fitting to either the ONE or the Cooper. This will cost about £300 as an aftersales fitted price.

Both will require spraying to the colour of your choice. If you bought the Cooper spoiler unsprayed, unfitted, it would cost about £120 and if you bought the other it would cost about £150

Phew, that was a struggle.
So, if you have the Chili spoiler fitted, it will cost you around £220 for a replacement, for example if your current one is damaged.

But the aeropack Cooper S style can be purchased and fitted for about £300.

So can you then buy the Chili spoiler for about £120, and pay to get it fitted to a One or Cooper, or will they only let you fit the Aerodynamics Pack spoiler if you have no spoiler to start with? (Possibly to prevent 'fake' chili coopers?)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
Err, isn't that what I said about 5 posts ago?

:confused: :rolleyes:
No!

3 spoiler's

Chili spoiler on a cooper or a one
Aerodynamic pack spoiler again on either
Cooper S spoiler on a S, surprisingly!!!!

that aint what u said paul, if it is, oooops im still half asleep.

Mark
:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the idea is that you cannot buy (legitimately) a Cooper spoiler and have it fitted by BMW.

My dealer said that they were thinking of buying a spoiler just to see what was missing from the fixing kit as they can't understand the thinking themselves.

There is nothing stopping you buying the spoiler and having it sprayed by BMW, but at this moment you will have to fit it yourself.

What a strange way of doing business.:confused:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Looks all right I suppose :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
m1les said:
I think the idea is that you cannot buy (legitimately) a Cooper spoiler and have it fitted by BMW.

My dealer said that they were thinking of buying a spoiler just to see what was missing from the fixing kit as they can't understand the thinking themselves.

There is nothing stopping you buying the spoiler and having it sprayed by BMW, but at this moment you will have to fit it yourself.

What a strange way of doing business.:confused:
A One and a Cooper has different tailgates. There are mounting points for the Cooper spoiler whereas the One has a smooth outer skin. To add a spoiler to a One that would withstand a 'roller bush' car wash (i.e. not using adhesives), a firm fixing point/modification to the tailgate is required.

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK InsiderMINI, so i'm in super thick mode at the moment, is the rear spoiler glued or fixed using bolts embedded in the spoiler itself?

If the spoiler has bolts in it, how many? If it's glued, they can keep it.

If there is a difference between tailgates, I feel a touch of the penny washers coming on to provide the additional support.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts