MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have found some common threads about the rear hatch trim leaking through the plastic clips into the boot (R50). Part number 51317113198. I can see where the rubber has lifted away from the window glass and the source of the leak.

Do the white clips often need replacing? As I can't see the clips come with the part.

Thanks in advance.

P.S - I also have the dreaded coolant leak but I'll save that for another thread at some point if I can't resolve, ha!

20210405_080401~2.jpg

·
Registered
606 Posts
the clips are a potential leak source not the trim, as well as potentially the wiper grommet, look above the steel panel joint (rust signs) or above the screen sealer and see if it's wet there, it seeps through and can make you think it's the clips, or look for drips at the base of the clips, not just attached items which can be misleading, there is a felt seal on the clip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the clips are a potential leak source not the trim, as well as potentially the wiper grommet, look above the steel panel joint (rust signs) or above the screen sealer and see if it's wet there, it seeps through and can make you think it's the clips, or look for drips at the base of the clips, not just attached items which can be misleading, there is a felt seal on the clip.
I can see that the rubber itself has come away from the glass at the point the leak appears... is it the clip working it's way forward then pushing the trim off the glass? Are the clips readily available?

I will be sure to check the other parts you refer to as well.

As you can see, the water was running down the electrical housing and dropping onto the cill below rather than running down and into the bottom and coming out of the drainage hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soooo.. I've run water along the section that was leaking and the water was in fact running through the clip. Do I need to buy new clips or a new rubber trim. Without removing it I'm unsure if the rubber has curled back from the glass or if the clip is prone to pushing the rubber away from the glass.

Any information would be appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts