MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping this is the right board for this.

Wondering if there is anyone other than the BMW service centers in Brisbane that may be able to rebuild or replace the power steering pump in my 2003 Cooper.

About 20 minutes into driving the pump just seems to shut down. When the pump is running, steering is great. Sadly, from what I have read, the problem is both well known and terminal :(

Any assistance on how much this is going to set me back and the best place to take it in Brisbane would be very handy.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Mini Maniac
396 Posts
The older Minis didn't have a cover over the power steering fan, which is located in the centre of the vehicle just behind the engine. Its common for something such as a plastic bag to get stuck in there. Have you looked at it to see if anything is lodged? That would explain why after 20 minutes it overheats and shuts down.

If it is broken though Im not sure who you could take it too. Since its an 03 and is probably out of warranty it would be expensive for BMW to fix it. Cant think of anyone who could fix it with enough knowledge of what is going on in the Mini. I stumbled across this: Australian Power Steering But who knows what that will lead to lol.

Good luck.
Ben

·
Registered
61 Posts
This has happened to me a few times too. The first time it happened it freaked me out and i had to stop on the side of the road. I had to use so much force to turn the wheel. I took it to the dealers and they said the pumped leaked. I forgot how much i paid but it wasnt cheap.

I didnt know it was a common problem back then otherwise i would have asked for it to be fixed without charge. Since then it has only occurred on three little occasions where i had to turn the car off and on. It is pretty frustrating and dangerous. And after looking at other thread it seems to be a very common problem with over 500 people reporting power steering problems.

I would tell the dealer that it is a common problem and show them the thread. Mini really should do a recall on older mini models, otherwise there could be same bad accidents.

·
Forever Modding!!
288 Posts
I know someone that may be able to help. PM me and I will give you his details.
If it is who I think it is, you had better check with him first. But yes I would recommend him. I might have that Manifold off very soon as we might be doing my clutch in a couple of weeks, if your still interested

·
Dash
393 Posts
If it is who I think it is, you had better check with him first. But yes I would recommend him. I might have that Manifold off very soon as we might be doing my clutch in a couple of weeks, if your still interested

If I get a pm then I will ring him up to see if he is ok with looking at this problem.
Yes I am still interested in the manifold. just let me know when it is off so I can have a look at it, thanks.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The main power connector wiggling loose is common. And all you have to do is jack up and safely support the car, feel around for the plug, then push it back in.

The fan is a piece of cake to change - two nuts and a quick fit connector, but the fans aren't cheap. But normally if that's the problem it will blow the fan fuse which kills the fan on the radiator too. (My car had this, and I reported it as an electrical problem killing the fans. Adelaide Motors - aka Adelaide MINI Garage) charged a *&%&%* fortune to pressure test the cooling system cause it was overheating.)

Finally, there is a thread of mine regarding the connector on the back of the alternator, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts