MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I need to replace my front brake discs and pads. The person Im looking to buy it from has given me a few brands that I have no idea about!

Zimmerman
Lucas
Brembo
BMW originals

I've never heard of the 1st three.. so if I was to take the safe option I'd just go for the original BMW parts. Are the others any good?

I've been quoted around £120 for discs/pads/sensors/labour.

Thanks!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
There are a lot of options out there for your MINI. What kind of driving do you do? That will actually help us point you in the right direction.

For what it is worth. Mintex seems to be a good pad for a daily drive that is recommended on this form. As for rotors, you can go with OEM or use another.

My setup is Hawk pads with power slot rotors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal driving. Spend around 40 minutes on a motorway each day (which is to and from work 20 minutes each way). When you say 'rotors' you mean the discs yeah?.

The brands that I mentioned are the only ones he can do for me.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Yeah... In the USA, we call them rotors or discs. Kind of like the tire tyre bit...

;)

I would go with some Mintex as they will dust less. The MINI discs are actually good but I chose some that were a bit more aggressive.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
If you're replacing the discs as well, and you're looking at the likes of Brembo (expensive!) as a possibility, you really should give GT Tuning a look for their Spiroslots. Once I had them properly installed and bedded in, they are simply phenomenal! :D

For the abuse I've been giving them, I seem to be getting pretty good life out of the pads too. :p

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you're replacing the discs as well, and you're looking at the likes of Brembo (expensive!) as a possibility, you really should give GT Tuning a look for their Spiroslots. Once I had them properly installed and bedded in, they are simply phenomenal! :D

For the abuse I've been giving them, I seem to be getting pretty good life out of the pads too. :p

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew is right the GTT set up for stock is awesome my mates car had them

·
Registered
398 Posts
I suspect there must be a pretty big price jump between the brands mentioned? Brembo are one of the best names in braking. But their big brake kit costs well over a thousand! As others Have said, Mintex are good, i have those with stock discs and they are a noticable improvment. I would say out of the ones you've said though to get bmw unless you can afford brembo prices

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the Brembo discs and pads I've been quoted £160 including fitting.

Neuro.. could you give me a bit more information on the GT tuning stuff?.. Im totally new to this stuff!

·
8,410 Posts

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
For the Brembo discs and pads I've been quoted £160 including fitting.

Neuro.. could you give me a bit more information on the GT tuning stuff?.. Im totally new to this stuff!
£160 is very good. My JCW pads were £60, and standard discs were £120.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I did look at the GTT stuff as well but with the dollar to pound conversion it was too much. :(

You need good everyday brakes and not ones designed for track use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im unable to get hold of any Mintex ones.. so my final choice is either Brembo for £160.. Zimmermans for £110.. or BMW's for £120.

Which ones should I go for?. Im not really that fussed about brakes to be honest.. as long as they stop the car when I want it to stop! Im leaning towards the Zimmermans unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

Thanks once again!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Mintex m1144 for road, mintex m1155 track/very fast road

Carbotech XP8s are truelly awesome....miles better than anything else out there. Some of the really serious boys with minis use these like Bhozar.... I'm getting 8s for my rears and possibly 10 on the front with my works brakes. However if I upgrade i'll use 8s like bhozar does. ThinkMINI can supply and fit I believe (site sponser) they also do XP10 and XP12s for the real hardcore track whores like Lee in his GTT turbo MINI.

Daflake ... are you kidding? My car is my daily driver and does 20+k per year and OEM suck IMO... huge fade on stock brakes. Even when i went to R53 JCWs they cook all the time if you have them on the back roads, even with GP pads... the only reason my brakes are not totally shot is that I run RBF 600 fluid which just stays great even when you cook the brakes all the time. If I ran dot 5.1 etc then my fluid would have boiled time and time again.

If you have an S then bin the stock pads ASAP, if its tuned then get carbotechs ... especially if you do lots of A and B road twisty driving

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Nope, not kidding the BMW pads and rotors are not bad but they are soft, however, for a "normal" daily driver they are fine. You guys push your cars more than the average user so uprated is needed for you.

This was the reason that I asked the guy "how" he drove. If he is not pushing his MINI (there are people out there that don't) then OEM is fine and there is no need to waste the money. ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd be tempted to go for brembo, they make the brakes for many super cars, I didnt realise they did a cheaper range for the mini, only ever seen the big brake kit which is really expensive. What does your mechanic recommend?

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My mechanic isnt really recommending much. I dont think he knows much about brakes and stuff in terms of brands. He'll probably end up recommending the most expensive!

Im leaning towards Zimmerman's just because I've read on here that the guy at Minimania uses them. But I'm still not 100% sure!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Had Zimmermans a few years ago on my old Golf GTI. They were alright, nothing better than average, nothing worse.

Take a good look at the GTT Spiroslots though. Had these fitted on my Cooper at the start of the year due to worn out discs and pads causing a nasty brake fade incident and would really recommend them. Also I wouldn't worry about braided hoses, they don't really do much and the Dot5.1 fluid that Roland supplies gives the pedal a firm feel.

I'd say probably the best standard size disc and pad upgrade.

I thought about Brembo and others but was put off by the thought of the cross drilled discs cracking over time.

Even if you don't use your car for track days or enthusiastic road driving you never know when a good set of brakes could save an accident.

Hope that helps.

·
8,410 Posts
Even if you don't use your car for track days or enthusiastic road driving you never know when a good set of brakes could save an accident.
^^^ That's a fair point.

The GTT Spiroslots are great for daily driving - no problems with cold operation and they're precise without being too aggressive for leisurely drives. It just so happens that they:
  • Give you awesome - and I mean just awesome - stopping power when you need it. :D
  • They look great behind the wheels. :cool:
  • That the grooves are very effective for getting rain/fording water off your disks in a hurry. The faces stay nice and clean. ;)
  • Make a really cool little humming sound under heavy braking to let you know they're working. :p

I really don't think you'd be disappointed if you went for the Spiroslots. Admittedly, I did have some initial trouble with them but this was due to a botched installation by a third party. Once I had them correctly re-installed the performance, quality, and precision were simply magnificent.

I really can't rate them highly enough.

All the best,
Andrew.​

1 - 20 of 22 Posts