MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anybody help?
When I turn from the main road sharply red oil light flashed until I straighten up.
I have checked oil and all levels are ok.
Garage checked over the car and is unsure, said possible electrical issue?
ECU??

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
565 Posts
Three things come to mind. The Oil Pressure gauge,Oil Pressure gauge washer/seal,and finally the oil sifter and oil chain.
The Oil pressure gauge has been known to go out. And the seal is good to replace items which are not that expensive.
Now if there is rattling go on or ticking going. I would remove the valve cover and use a l.E.D. flashlight looking at all the plastic guides making sure the side rails are still in tacked and not torn or broken. I would use.
O-Ring Silicone Grease | Super Lube
Using this grease lightly on the valve cover gasket; as to not have to purchase a new one. torquing that down to 7 and 1/2 foot pounds or 100 inch pounds.
After that I would proceed to under the car and drain the oil into a clean container and put them back in empty quart oil
containers or 4 quart oil container; if the oil is still good. Looking at the condition of the oil as it is draining making sure the viscosity and the color of it is standard black and not thin also looking for metallic flakes.
The other two components can be accessed through this area. with the oil pan off I would first look inside the oil pump sump sifter for plastic debris that looks like the plastic timing chain guide pieces. After that I would look at the Oil pump chain a short chain that runs from the crankshaft to the oil pump itself. Checking to make sure it is not too loose. There will be play there of course. Not a serious amount of it more than a say a serpentine belts acceptable limits would be(just something so you don't freak out about the play there). It would be real saggy against the oil pump gear.
Really this inspection has to do with more so with checking the oil pump sump screen for debris.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three things come to mind. The Oil Pressure gauge,Oil Pressure gauge washer/seal,and finally the oil sifter and oil chain.
The Oil pressure gauge has been known to go out. And the seal is good to replace items which are not that expensive.
Now if there is rattling go on or ticking going. I would remove the valve cover and use a l.E.D. flashlight looking at all the plastic guides making sure the side rails are still in tacked and not torn or broken. I would use.
O-Ring Silicone Grease | Super Lube
Using this grease lightly on the valve cover gasket; as to not have to purchase a new one. torquing that down to 7 and 1/2 foot pounds or 100 inch pounds.
After that I would proceed to under the car and drain the oil into a clean container and put them back in empty quart oil
containers or 4 quart oil container; if the oil is still good. Looking at the condition of the oil as it is draining making sure the viscosity and the color of it is standard black and not thin also looking for metallic flakes.
The other two components can be accessed through this area. with the oil pan off I would first look inside the oil pump sump sifter for plastic debris that looks like the plastic timing chain guide pieces. After that I would look at the Oil pump chain a short chain that runs from the crankshaft to the oil pump itself. Checking to make sure it is not too loose. There will be play there of course. Not a serious amount of it more than a say a serpentine belts acceptable limits would be(just something so you don't freak out about the play there). It would be real saggy against the oil pump gear.
Really this inspection has to do with more so with checking the oil pump sump screen for debris.
Thanks for such a detailed reply. Sounds complicated and expensive.Garage assure me the oil and all components are fine and its possible electrical???

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
565 Posts
Oil pressure sensor is electrical. There is not oil level sensor in a mini cooper. although some do have electrical connections to the Oil pump,the Vacuum pump, And the main water pump. Or at least provisions for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts