MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've recently bought a used Mini Cooper 05 and it started making some noise from the engine, had it diagnosed and it's the power steering pump which is constantly on even when engine switched off.

I've been looking everywhere but I can't seem to find a good place for a refurbished part.

Any ideas how much am I looking at for the part and for the labour too?

I'm from down south - St Albans.

Thank you.
M

·
Registered
509 Posts
From experience last year (the plug connector pins fell out of mine):

These are normally bought on an exchange basis. Ask your local garage, they will have a better knowledge of parts sources. The pumps are normally about £350.00, fitting takes about an hour.

Example parts (second one looks very good value):

Mini Cooper R50 R53 R52 R56 2001-2012 Trw Electric Power Steering Pump Exchange | eBay

BMW Mini Electric Power Steering Pump *Exchange Service with Lifetime Warranty | eBay

Quite expensive part, but spend more and buy one that has been properly refurbished then it's job done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From experience last year (the plug connector pins fell out of mine):

These are normally bought on an exchange basis. Ask your local garage, they will have a better knowledge of parts sources. The pumps are normally about £350.00, fitting takes about an hour.

Example parts (second one looks very good value):

Mini Cooper R50 R53 R52 R56 2001-2012 Trw Electric Power Steering Pump Exchange | eBay

BMW Mini Electric Power Steering Pump *Exchange Service with Lifetime Warranty | eBay

Quite expensive part, but spend more and buy one that has been properly refurbished then it's job done.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Yeah, I've been looking at those, my local garage quoted me £700 in total, about £325 for the pump. It's mad given I bought my car for £1000 4 months ago, don't think I would be willing to spend 70% of the value for repairing.

Thanks, I'll keep looking for refurbished parts.

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are happy to wait to get your old pump back you can send it off for fixing:

BMW Mini Electric Power Steering Pump Repair Service with Lifetime Warranty | eBay

Saves a few bob. Only a one hour job to change. Easy to get to with the car on a ramp and then to bleed with new fluid.

The trouble with cheaper cars that you can get a bill that is proportionately high. Still a cheap and fun car.
I totally agree. But yes, this option seems much more reliable and cheaper than buying a remanufactured and then getting it fit. I guess this is something I would have to bear. Thanks for your help mate!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts