MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· michaelmjt62
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm going to refurbish the convertible roof and was wondering if anyone can suggest products please?
The local car part shop says Renovo is good but when I've read reviews there are a couple (BMW and Porsche) who say it's wrecked their soft top.
Thank
Michael.

· Registered
56 Posts
Have a look at Autoglym - I think its more gentle than Renovo, but I haven't had a soft top MINI for 12 years!

I think MINI do a product as well (as do BMW) but have no experience of it.
Agreed- I use Autoglym cleaner / restorer with elbow grease:

http://tinyurl.com/y4efjwl8

And a stiff - but not wire - brush. This one was recommended to me by someone on this forum. You might get it cheaper searching for the name...

http://tinyurl.com/y6scj8x8

Make sure your roof is damp when you apply the restorer, and it is definitely worth masking off paintwork and glass because the restorer is mighty difficult to get off once dry.

· Registered
12 Posts
If you've got lots of green mould on your roof, it's also worth giving it a scrub with a Milton solution - the stuff you use to sterilise babies bottles. Use it before you use the proofer to seal the roof - it will take away the green colour and kill the spores.

· Registered
56 Posts
If you've got lots of green mould on your roof, it's also worth giving it a scrub with a Milton solution - the stuff you use to sterilise babies bottles. Use it before you use the proofer to seal the roof - it will take away the green colour and kill the spores.
PacePilot - great tip - but does it affect the colour? milton is much kinder than bleach but I think it's still capable of 'bleaching' your jet black roof even in diluted form?

If you have used it successfully - was it neat or diluted?

thanks!

· Registered
12 Posts
PacePilot - great tip - but does it affect the colour? milton is much kinder than bleach but I think it's still capable of 'bleaching' your jet black roof even in diluted form?

If you have used it successfully - was it neat or diluted?

thanks!
Austin_CS - you only need to add a couple of capfuls (or tablets, depending upon which form you have) into a large bucket of water and then use a nail brush or similar to give the green areas a good scrub. Then rinse - you might have to do it a couple of times if the staining is heavy. Another trick to use, if you are using roof proofer after cleaning, is to add some liquid shoe polish (black) into the bottle and then spray on the roof. It's not a permanent dye, but will really give your roof back it's new appearance. Much better than Renovo, which some people have reported leaves their roof feeling as if they've painted it, ruining the look of the fabric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.