MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I read these boards, it seems everyday there are at least a few new people popping up who are in the process of, or would like to, reject their MINI. Along the same lines, there are many people who have been VERY eagerly awaiting their purchase of a MINI, who are now reconsidering buying one. If you are in any of these categories, please post in this thread. I know there are several people who have or are planning to write letters to BMW/MINI/MINI dealers about the cars, and I thought a consolidation of people voicing their problems/concerns would make a good resource for us. I think we all really want the MINI to be a great car, but unfortunately, there is all too much evidence surfacing that it may end up being far from it. Maybe if we band together now and make BMW/MINI take notice, they can get things back in order before its too late.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am collecting my Cooper from my dealers later today after they have replaced the ECU to cure the 'magic' windows and doors problem. I have told BMW CS and my dealer that should this problem reoccur I will be rejecting the car and need to put this in writing.

Can anyone give me an example of a suitable rejection/will be rejected type letter please??

If I need to reject it I will be getting a replacement not a refund as I want a fault free MINI.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
JCFelt said:
Along the same lines, there are many people who have been VERY eagerly awaiting their purchase of a MINI, who are now reconsidering buying one.
I am definitely in this bracket. I am due to pick up my car in the next couple of weeks, but I am having serious doubts about whether to go ahead. I wrote to BMW twice voicing my concerns, but never received an answer. I have written to them again, and should I not hear from them by the time my car arrives I am not going to go ahead with the purchase. In fact BMW are going work pretty hard to convince me to go buy the car.

No matter how great a car it is; there are several elements of the car that are flawed (such as the 'pulling to the left' Syndrome) and BMW in my opinion has had more than enough time to put these right. But cars are still coming off the production lines that suffer from them; NOT GOOD ENOUGH :mad:

This will be my first new car and I want it to be a pleasurable one. I am going to pop to my VW garage and see how quickly they can get me a Lupo GTi; this was the car I was originally going to buy and I think is more than a match for the Mini; it a cracking little car

It is enough to drive you mad

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Varse said:
Can anyone give me an example of a suitable rejection/will be rejected type letter please??
Varse, I'm not sure that it will fit the bill but if you go to www.whatcar.com, then to the 'advice' section, then to 'helpline', it offers some proforma letters including one regarding a faulty car. It might be a starting point but you would need to tailor it. In particular, the legislation which they mention is actually wrong - it should be the Sale of Goods Act 1979 - and the requirement is that goods are 'of satisfactory quality having regard to description, price and other relevant circumstances'. Also, if you are writing an actual rejection letter, which you should if your magic windows re-occur, make it clear you are rejecting the car there and then rather than asking them to respond within 7 days.

I have also posted in the Press forum re an article in Feb 2002 Top Gear Magazine about a couple who rejected their MINI. I only skim-read it, but there may be some useful tips in there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks very much Indieblueone, I read the Top Gear article yesterday which was quite useful and I'll take a look at the WhatCar site.

·
Registered
247 Posts
One last chance letter.

Just in case it helps anyone who is considering rejecting their MINI, and to get peoples views on it, here is a copy of my letter that I am taking into my dealer tonight.

MINI Cooper Reg No: RE51 ***

To Whom It May Concern:

I ordered the above car from your dealership in July and took delivery in early October 2001. Since then, it has returned to Barons on 4/5 occasions in the course of less than 3 months and 4000 miles. Below I detail the problems it has had:

1. Faulty fuel gauge – still awaiting a fix
2. Poorly fitted passenger door – fixed at the second attempt
3. Squeaky/uncomfortable seats – fixed at the second attempt
4. Poorly fitted handbrake collar – fixed
5. Moisture in rear light clusters – new light clusters fitted
6. Electrical problem causing windows and doors to open themselves whilst vehicle unattended and at speed – new ECU fitted on 3rd Jan 2002 as faulty, after recovery during holiday in the Lake District.

Clearly this cannot continue. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires that a vehicle ‘be of satisfactory quality, having regard to description, price and other relevant circumstances’.

I believe that mine fails to meet such criteria and therefore should there be any further recurrence of any problem, I shall be rejecting the above vehicle under the above act and seeking a replacement vehicle.

I believe that my action is reasonable and I have given ample opportunity for the problems to be rectified by Barons, including replacement of the ECU as a final attempt to solve the problems. I will not have the safety and security of my vehicle, its contents or passengers be compromised.

Should this action be necessary and replacement vehicle not be forthcoming I shall take whatever legal action is necessary to protect my interests.

I have informed Nick Sharman at BMW Customer Services UK of my intended actions and have forwarded a copy of this letter to him also.

I look forward to your early reply.

Yours sincerely,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: One last chance letter.

Varse said:
Just in case it helps anyone who is considering rejecting their MINI, and to get peoples views on it, here is a copy of my letter that I am taking into my dealer tonight.

Varse, it looks a good letter. And hopefully the need to move on to the next stage will not arise. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our MINI has been rejected, we will be getting a replacement.

I have written letters to BMW and 'MINI', also to the principal of the dealership.

The letters outline all of the problems and faults with our vehicle. In the end the dealer admitted that we had more than our fair share of trouble. The car will be re-ordered next week. Hopefully the new one will be less problematic, if not I would also reject that.

You have rights as a consumer, you are not buying a second hand, used vehicle. IF not happy then complain.

Nuff said.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here Here! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
rejecting

Just one point that hasnt been mentioned in this thread, if you reject your car you MUST stop using it straight away. When I rejected mine I had it delivered back to the showroom by MINI emergency services, having notified BMW customer services and the dealership principle of my rejection of the car in writing.
Its sad to have to be adding to this thread it can only mean more people are rejecting their cars, on a brighter note I have recently taken delivery of my new MINI, brilliant:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Be very cautious as it sounds as if your dealer is buying your car back at a 'trade-in' valuation.

If you are rejecting your car they should be exchanging it for one of comparable value. I agree that if it is a 'rejected' car you should be no longer using it.

If you need further information seek advice from a lawyer, your automobile association or trading standards office.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would expect that the letter from BMW is binding, and if they allow you the use of your current car, until the new one arrives then fine. As long as it is all upfront with the dealer then no problems.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Martyn said:
In my opinion that is more than fair and means I have lost nothing on the hefty mileage I had done in the first car
Don't agree! I think you should have had the new car + extas for nothing for the inconvenience.

Nice spec for your new car by the way. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
can i still reject my mini ?

Ok i have problems with my mini
and yes i would like a mini with no faults

1 the hand brake went and it rolled down a hill and hit another car
2 it rolled down a hill while a graphics company was putting the union jack on the roof so i got a dint in the roof from them trying to stop it i only found this out after i saw it roll down a hill and noticed the marks on the roof the graphics place say it was not there fault
3 it drifts to the left
4 the hand brake cover plastics came of today aswell
5 sometimes the seat will not lock in place when you move it so you cant lean back if you do you end up lying down

will i still be able to reject my mini even now i have only done 230 miles in it
and only got it on the 10th of december

·
Registered
32 Posts
Madcaser...

Madcaser,

Which dealer did you purchase your MINI from?

·
Registered
39 Posts
But I like my MINI

I don't know that I want to reject my MINI.

I have the magic windows and doorlocks problem. BMW are fitting a new ECU right now.

What if that doesn't fix it?

I'm sure I'd be within my rights to reject the car. But how long will I have to wait for a replacement? Will the replacement have the same problem? What do I drive while I wait?

Is rejection the right thing to do? Surely BMW will find a solution sooner or later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in the same position as you but in the end it had to go.I had to wait three months for a replacement but it has been worth the wait the new car seems to have a much better build quality.I also added some extras that were not available when i first ordered my car 17" alloys 6 disc cd etc.You should be supplied with a mini courtesy car while you are waiting for your replacement i too had the ecu and locks replaced and it was not cured. reject it.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
mmmmmm........

I'm not (currently) considering rejecting my car. The electrical problems only started to show 4 days ago, and the dealership replaced the ECU yesterday. So far, so good, but who knows whether it'll last?

Looking at the blackest scenario of it not working (if you can think of any blacker scenarios, keep them to yourself ;) ), then rejection becomes an issue for me when? I believe you weaken the case if you allow a dealer too many attempts to rectify a problem, but surely you have to give them some opportunity? And can you reject the car if its only got the one fault - even if its something as major as a duff electrical system? Or has it got to have a catalogue of faults and more trips back to the dealership than you can count?

I was p****d off, then worried, now I'm just :confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts