MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to test-drive a MCS in two days with the intention of purchasing an '05 w/ several options. My research thus far has yielded mostly good reports regarding reliability, but there have been some with terrible stories regarding problems and especially rattles and loose fitting parts. These seem to be on the MY2002 minis. Please tell me what you think! Will I get Toyota style reliability.

Thanks!

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Andromcs said:
Will I get Toyota style reliability.
No, but will a Toyota give you MINI-style style, handling, and fun-factor? ;) The build quality has improved a lot and I've had NO problems with my 2003 Cooper. But I still would be very hesitant to say that a MINI has Toyota style reliability. Toyotas are for people who want reliable transportation as a first priority. MINI's are for those who want a fun to drive car primarily. I'm not saying you can't have both, just saying there are trade offs either way you go and you have to decide what your priorities are.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
dansmini said:
No, but will a Toyota give you MINI-style style, handling, and fun-factor? ;) The build quality has improved a lot and I've had NO problems with my 2003 Cooper. But I still would be very hesitant to say that a MINI has Toyota style reliability. Toyotas are for people who want reliable transportation as a first priority. MINI's are for those who want a fun to drive car primarily. I'm not saying you can't have both, just saying there are trade offs either way you go and you have to decide what your priorities are.
Neatly summed up, I'll second dansmini with that view :) .

·
Big Pimpin!
173 Posts
i have a 53 sum lil rattle in the dash went to garage and said they would fix it and dint but in the newer ones 02 onwards not many rattles at all and a gud dealer if ther are any will sort out straight away

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank you for the replies.

I don't believe there needs to be any trade-off. Good reliability is something that every car company should be able to achieve in this day of modern technology. Especially now. I have two Toyotas and a Subaru and I just sold a Volvo. All three of these companies have achieved a good level of reliability and have models that perform very well on-road and/or off-road. A company such as BMW/Mini, being known for such high-end products should also be able to achieve such a level of reliability and I don't think it is unreasonable for the buying public to expect it for the money spent. Now no matter what the reputation of the manufacturer, there are problems that crop-up with certain models or certain vehicles that might be do to a bit of half-assed engineering or a bad production day, but that is the human component and is understood. What I want to avoid is another experience such as when I purchase a 1989 VW Golf 16V GTI. It was actually falling apart as I drove it from the dealer and was back for fixes 10+ in my first 2 months of ownership. They finally bought it back from me after venturing through a lemon law arbitration.

So, will I spend much time at the dealer after my purchase?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've had my '04 Cooper since the end of January. (over 6 months) No problems at all yet, so I haven't had any need to see my dealer.

·
BMW Traitor
1,192 Posts
The new 04 and beyond MINIs aren't horrific. There are faults from the human side of it, but the engineering is sound and pretty much all the kinks have been worked out since hte 02-03 beta period.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had my 03 MCS (Sept 02 build) back to the dealer twice. In the first year, several warranty items accumulated, but nothing that led me to the dealer before it's first regular service. They took care of all problems, but needed to order one part. I returned for them to replace that part and all has been fine since. Well almost - the sunroof was rattling and I was expecting to take it back for repair, but it has cleared up on it's own.

You need to decide what's important to you and what you'll be most comfortable with. If every little rattle or quirk is going to drive you nuts, then go with what you're familiar with. No car is perfect, even Lexus develops little buzzes and blips after a few years.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I don't believe there needs to be any trade-off. Good reliability is something that every car company should be able to achieve in this day of modern technology. Especially now. I have two Toyotas and a Subaru and I just sold a Volvo. All three of these companies have achieved a good level of reliability and have models that perform very well on-road and/or off-road. A company such as BMW/Mini, being known for such high-end products should also be able to achieve such a level of reliability and I don't think it is unreasonable for the buying public to expect it for the money spent. Now no matter what the reputation of the manufacturer, there are problems that crop-up with certain models or certain vehicles that might be do to a bit of half-assed engineering or a bad production day, but that is the human component and is understood. What I want to avoid is another experience such as when I purchase a 1989 VW Golf 16V GTI. It was actually falling apart as I drove it from the dealer and was back for fixes 10+ in my first 2 months of ownership. They finally bought it back from me after venturing through a lemon law arbitration.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the double post!!!

And thanks again.

I am not worried about what will happen after years of use. Little squeaks, rattles and the such, I know they develop over time. It is in the car's infancy...the first few years that I expect it to be free of major defects and even most little annoying ones. A few little things I can live with...

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
I have an 04 MCS. After 2 weeks of ownership O2 sensor went out, developed a speaker distortion in passenger side speaker. Tried to have it fixed twice and still didn't. I have the yo- yo problem. Went to have V38 loaded and dealer refused. While they had it they got the seat wet after washing it. They at least fixed a rattle under the dash. Yes I hav had minor problems but my major complaint is MINI service where I live. It is shoty at best and I have filed complaints with MINI USA.
Tavis1 :red:

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
on my 3rd - all been brilliant apart from the first which was a '51 plate and Mini One which had the gear box re call problem. Cooper and an S Works since then and not one problem between the pair. I'll have Minis forever... If I go to my dealer (Terry) it's to have a chat and gloat about how much I love my Mini... and to have her cleaned while I drink my coffee with Terry. Love it. :)

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Andromcs said:

As we are seeing by the responses here, you might! But it might be worth it to you to deal with a few niggles to have a fun-to-drive car. What other cars are you considering? S2000?

·
kgouin
481 Posts
I debated between a Subaru and a MINI before purchasing the MINI. I thought the Subaru would be good because of the all wheel drive because we get some good snow where I live. I ended buying the MINI because of everything I had heard about the handling. I can't give you any reports on reliability because I have only owned since yesterday but I am glad I bought the MINI. The handling is INCREDIBLE on it! You just feel really secure while driving it. I absolutely love it! I have never enjoyed windy roads as much as I do with the MINI. I have heard that MINIs drive really good with snow tires in the winter and that is what I plan on doing. I don't think you would regret buying a MINI. :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Reliabilty can be a bit of a subjective issue; a dashboard rattle can be a reliabilty problem to someone or a minor irritation to another. Having said which we seem to get few people complaining of major mechanical failure on here (other than perhaps with certain gearboxes - a problem that has been addressed now). The basic Tritec engines seem pretty reliable. I think that part of the problem is that all of us on here are pretty much MINI obsessed and we want our cars to be perfect and remain perfect in the way they drive, handle and wear. Whereas the times I have driven Toyotas I have been so taken aback by strange nylon trim patterns, cheap grey plastic dashboards and a an engine and suspension package that only seemed vaguely attached to the wheel in my hands and accelerator pedal that minor niggles such as rattles and squeeks go ignored. The fact that there was an essentially very reliable drivetrain under the bonnet has always seemed a very small consolation.

So far MINI have bulit 440,000 MINIs. Even if they manufactured 99.9% of them perfectly that would still leave 4,400 less than perfect MINIs out there. If only 10% of their owners were MINI2ers that would still be 440 very unhappy people on these boards.

I should add I have a Sept 03 Cooper and it has been faultlessly reliable over 12k miles and seems well screwed together.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dansmini,

I have also considered a Subaru STI, Subaru Forester XT w/ some suspension & tire/wheel modifications, a Mazdaspeed Miata (the turbo model) and the VW R32. We already have one Forester XT and it is a great car, but I am buying this new one for more sporting purposes and better MPGs. The Mini seems to be the best choice by the numbers, thus the test drive is scheduled for tomorrow.

Best.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Andromcs said:
Dansmini,

I have also considered a Subaru STI, Subaru Forester XT w/ some suspension & tire/wheel modifications, a Mazdaspeed Miata (the turbo model) and the VW R32. We already have one Forester XT and it is a great car, but I am buying this new one for more sporting purposes and better MPGs. The Mini seems to be the best choice by the numbers, thus the test drive is scheduled for tomorrow.

Best.
Have you driven the R32 yet? Just curious what you thought of that one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Andromcs said:
I am going to test-drive a MCS in two days with the intention of purchasing an '05 w/ several options. My research thus far has yielded mostly good reports regarding reliability, but there have been some with terrible stories regarding problems and especially rattles and loose fitting parts. These seem to be on the MY2002 minis. Please tell me what you think! Will I get Toyota style reliability.

Thanks!
I'm not sure I'd even go so far as to say it has Kia style reliability, but it sure is one helluva fun car to drive :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
16 Participants
MiniSMan
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing