MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Newbie alert!
I have recently started a mild modification of an R50, yes I know I should have got a later one but, I only just started to learn about minis.
I have done the air intake and fitted a milltek cat back and of course fitted the go faster decals,, she has a set of wolfrace alloys.
So, she looks and sounds the part but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Well, I'm a cheapskate, I want to buy a file and dump it on the ecu myself. Ideally I'd like to buy a used ecu with the same serial and hardware number, clone mine and use the new one to remap and run the car keeping the original as a back up.

Can I do it? Will it keep the injector and immobiliser codes?

What do I need?

Please help as I can't find anything specific

·
Registered
20 Posts
You need a compatible same series ecu, ews module and key transponder. That will start and run the engine. Ebay will have what you require for not much. I've done this before and swapped an ecu from my parts car in to mine. As far as cloning and changing files, i can't help you there. That's voodoo to me. For the amount of messing around, you may as well pay a pro to flash a tune on it or properly map it.

Don't know how much faster that will get you either. If you really want to go fast, add a turbo and money, lots of money.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
where i work now can map them can also remove fault codes off self check so can remove items from ecu and checking as such, can delete dpf and egr and cat and inlet codes, as for mapping gen 1 non pressure fed engines the gains are tiny as they tend to be already running to near whats possible from the factory, fitting a high lift cam and decat and some head porting will help it, also a running a high lift cam face road cam can raise the rev band this is where gains can be found on non pressure fed engines higher revs more power, also light flywheel at this stage would turn it on to a monster, that old question how deep are your pockets to how fast you want to go,, or you could just by a r53 and stick a high lift cam in that and some roller time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mike,
It's a 90BHP beast :-( Hence the struggle to get the skin off the rice pudding. I believe 125bhp is possible with a remap with a decent torque improvement and much improved throttle response, I was also led to believe a remap with get rid of the 2 flat spots they suffer with. It is much improved by the air intake and exhaust but I'm considering the kent cam upgrade.
Would you put the cam in before the remap or after? does it make a difference to the mapping i.e more fuel etc?

Thanks for you time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick one Mike, do you guys map the ecu for this gen in or out of the car? Can I use just KESS V2

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
we use CMD and some other stuff that allows direct mapping on most stuff, that said some ecu's ie the newer stuff have a protection on the chip and it blocks all software unless factory coded, but there are ways a round it, KESS v2 is good gear when its genuine but there are a lot of Chinese clones around dont take much to get things wrong, if ever anyone maps a car always put battery charger on it while read and write is going on as if battery drops under 12volts it will screw it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts